Responsible for the lay out, fit, and fabrication of metal components to assemble moderately complex
structural forms, using standard knowledge of welding and fitting techniques, metallurgy, and engineering
• Ignite torch and adjusts valves, amperage, or voltage to obtain desired flame or arc.
• Analyze moderately complex engineering drawings and specifications to plan layout, assembly, and
• Lay out, position, and secure parts and assemblies according to specifications on moderately
using straightedge, combination square, calipers, and ruler.
• Tack-weld or weld components and assemblies, using electric, gas, arc, or other welding equipment.
• Inspect gap allowances, using micrometer, caliper, and precision measuring instruments.
• Remove rough spots from work piece, using portable grinder, hand file, or scraper.
• Weld components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions.
• Heats, forms, and dresses metal parts, using hand tools, torch, or arc welding equipment.
• Develop moderately complex templates and other work aids to hold and align parts.
• Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
• Determine required equipment and welding method to complete moderately complex assignments,
applying standard knowledge of metallurgy, geometry, and welding techniques.
• Perform all work in accordance with quality standards and established safety procedures.
High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED) and three to seven years related
• Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
• Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
• Ability to be internally inspired to perform a task to the best of ones ability using his or her own drive
• Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
• Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job
• Ability to work at a sustained pace and produce quality work.
• Ability to make decisions or take actions to solve a problem or reach a goal.
• Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Certificates & Licenses:
Certified Welder in GMAW 3G minimum on 3/8’’ plate and FCAW (3G) on 1” plate
Standard to above average knowledge of blueprints, shop mathematics and weld symbols required.
Ability to safely operate overhead cranes.
Physical Abilities Lift /Carry
Stand C (Constantly) 10 lbs or less F (Frequently)
Walk C (Constantly) 11-20 lbs F (Frequently)
Sit O (Occasionally) 21-50 lbs O (Occasionally)
Handling / Fingering F (Frequently) 51-100 lbs N (Not Applicable)
Reach Outward O (Occasionally)) Over 100 lbs N (Not Applicable)
Reach Above Shoulder O (Occasionally) Push / Pull
Climb O (Occasionally) 12 lbs or less F (Frequently)
Crawl O (Occasionally) 13-25 lbs O (Occasionally)
Squat or Kneel F (Frequently) 26-40 lbs O (Occasionally)
Bend F (Frequently) 41-100 lbs N (Not Applicable)
N (Not Applicable) Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally) Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hrs/day)
C (Constantly) Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
OTHER PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required by the position, location, and/or
Work outside as well as in a shop environment. Shop environment may not have air conditioning.
The company had reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been
included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities.
Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate
Subscribe to job alerts and add your resume to our resume database for employers!