Director Cloud Operations
Elsevier is a world-leading provider of information & analytics solutions. Our talented team of engineers' fuse world class technology and content, overlay with big data tech, machine learning and cutting edge technologies and empower clinicians, physicians and healthcare professionals with products that empower them to make better decisions, deliver better care, and sometimes make ground-breaking discoveries that advance the boundaries of knowledge and human progress.
This role is responsible for driving the continuous evolution and improvement of Elsevier's SRE and Development Operations teams which are part of the Technology Infrastructure and Operations group. This individual will be entrusted with building Devops and SRE teams in an enterprise context and underpinning large scale web facing cloud infrastructure deployments.
As a key leadership role within the Technology Infrastructure & Operations Management team, this individual will be expected to contribute fully to the creation and execution of the Elsevier Technology Strategy. This includes building and further executing on our Cloud First methodology and road map. In addition, to be successful at fully driving the effectiveness of the Technology Infrastructure & Operations group, this individual will also need to work across the Technology organization to ensure advances in areas such as software development and the cloud are fully exploited within the Technology Infrastructure. In this growth infused role you will be an intricate member of our open-engaging-collaborative-Agile team. You will be surrounded by a brilliant group of technologists working within our post advanced tech stack.
Key Result Areas:
Ensure High Standards of Support for Production Systems
- Create and Implement Technology Strategy for the continued growth in our DevOps, SRE and cloud hosting (AWS and Azure) space.
- Contribute at the highest level as part of the Technology Operations & Infrastructure management team in the definition of the overall infrastructure strategy for Elsevier.
- Stay abreast of industry advances and develop relevant strategic plans and proposals to allow Elsevier to exploit technology advances in order to drive revenue, reduce cost or reduce risk.
- Identify and introduce industry best practice in terms of end user devices and Software and asset management across our entire estate.
- Own global acquisition policy and cost projection approach for M&A due diligence work.
- Regularly benchmark current services against internal & external delivery models to provide optimal pricing and ability to directly link cost to demand where appropriate.
Staff Leadership and Development
- Responsible for overall maturity status of the global estate including the security, DR, hosting tiers of the production environment.
- Owns ETS risk register and CAS audit items for Technology Operations & Infrastructure
- Ensure that staff coverage provides cost efficient support.
Ensure Efficient and Effective Project Delivery
- Provide leadership and drive to ensure that their organization consistently meets its objectives on time, to budget, to quality standards agreed.
- Manage their organization's resources to ensure there is sufficient staff, with the right skills and experience to meet the service delivery standards agreed with the business.
- Oversee the recruitment and development of their respective organizational staff in line with broader Technology Operations & Infrastructure and corporate guidelines.
- Establish and maintain an excellent and collegiate style working relationship with all other functions within Elsevier and ensure that this style is propagated throughout the team.
Fiscal and Process Management
- Take ownership of all assigned projects and ensure that they deliver agreed benefits and meet time, budget and quality standards agreed.
- Ensure governance and reporting processes defined by Elsevier Portfolio Management are followed consistently for Technology Operations & Infrastructure projects, ensuring projects meet the quality standards required for our production environment, with clear operational documentation and can be transitioned smoothly from development to pre-production and then on to production.
- Accountability for all changes to the production environment in terms of asset and licensing tracking.
- Accountable for efforts across the entire estate to achieve the required maturity as the individual offerings identified.
- Participate in an annual budget and operational plan for the Technology Operations & Infrastructure, and then once agreed manage and report on their portfolio's progress against this plan and budget through the year.
- Take responsibility for the quality of all services and solutions delivered through the Technology Operations & Infrastructure, whether delivered directly or through a 3rd party.
- Ensure appropriate process, governance and controls are in place to ensure full protection of the production environment, in line with internal and external audit requirements and recognized industry best practice.
- Play an active part in the continuous improvement of quality processes and standards to ensure that Elsevier Technology provides efficient, high quality and cost effective solution development that supports an iterative and agile development methodology and a dynamic business.
- Actively promote quality throughout their organization and ensure the quality of all deliverables.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact 1.877.734.1938 or email@example.com