If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Department of Surgical Urology and Bariatrics has an exciting opportunity for a full time Unit Secretary (U) position. The Unit Secretary (U) provides support to an assigned unit by maintaining and updating patients' records and performing administrative activities in compliance with all regulations.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS:
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.CORE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Creates a calm, business like atmosphere that promotes productivity.
- Consistently supports the philosophy of service excellence of the organization.
- Maintains a clean, safe and functional work area in the Nursing Station.
- Greets all customers when entering the unit, handles their inquiries, and directs them to the appropriate person and/or area.
- Consistently initiates a positive communication with the patients, family members, nurses and physicians in a courteous manner.
- Greets Visitors and callers, using a calm and friendly approach when communicating with others.
- Answers the telephone before the fourth ring. Takes messages, answers routine questions, and transfers call to appropriate areas and individuals.
- Uses telephone etiquette standards 100%, using hospital designated scripting.
- Maintains the patient's chart in appropriate order.
- Initiates and assembles admission chart within 15 minutes of patients' arrival to the unit.
- Prepares patient Welcome Packets and Folders for each patient.
- Complete Clean Room Checklist for every room prior to patient arrival.
- Assures that all pertinent information and forms are sent to the receiving unit when patients are transferred.
- Records and delivers messages.
- Maintains appropriate logs.
- Ensure appropriate resources, equipment and supplies are available.
- Utilizes universal precautions and environmental safety guidelines.
- Comply with established measures for infection control, OSHA and AHCA regulations and risk management.
- Utilizes time constructively and in an organized manner to accomplish assigned responsibilities.
- Follow facility, departmental and personnel policies and procedures.
- Comply with the employee Code of Ethics and Standards of Behavior.
- Attend mandatory educational programs and annual in-services.
- Preform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
- Minimum 1 year of relevant experience
- Ability to understand and follow instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Ability to work evenings, nights, and weekends as necessary.
- Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office)
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type: