If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The Department of Neurological Surgery has an exciting opportunity for a Surgery Scheduler 2. The incumbent acts as liaison between patients, professional staff, and physicians by scheduling and coordinating all necessary functions for surgical and diagnostic procedures. Further, the Senior Surgery Scheduler acts as source of knowledge for scheduling staff and oversees their functions to ensure accurately and timely scheduling practices.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Obtains pre-authorizations for procedures as required by insurance companies.
2. Oversees, produces, and distributes all surgical and procedural schedules to physicians and departments.
3. Collaborates with patients, families, staff, and providers within the office and the greater community to schedule surgeries, pre-op physicals, and testing.
4. Coordinates with hospitals and vendors for special cases or circumstances.
5. Identifies ways to streamline surgical scheduling process and provides suggestions to managing staff.
6. Ensures that electronic systems and scheduling tools are up-to-date and operating smoothly, and immediately contacts appropriate personnel to resolve any issues.
7. Ensures documentation is complete to support accurate billing of surgical procedures.
8. Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
Department Specific Functions
80% Coordination of surgeries includes but is not limited to:
• Post Procedure into JMH Miracle System and/or UMH system.
• All consents with date of surgery should be posted in corresponding hospital in a timely manner.
• Schedule PAT appointment 3 to 4 days prior to surgery if pre-testing at JMH/UPAC.
• Give surgical package to Authorization Coordinator to obtain necessary authorizations.
• Check request list daily to ensure that all cases are cleared and dropped into the corresponding OR.
• Ensure signed consent and all necessary documentation if faxed to MMF/UPAC and sent to OR front desk.
• Confirm with Faculty surgical case order prior surgery date.
• Ensures that essential medical records for surgery are scanned into UChart (EPIC) prior to surgical date or shortly thereafter.
• Follow-up with patient and/or PCP for medical clearance.
• Help coordinate and facilitate pre-op clearance for patient with their PCP.
• Fax pre-op orders to PCP and follow-up with PCP office for results.
• Compile all required documentation to confirm medical clearance and have package signed off by RN/ARNP.
• Attend clinic with physician to facility scheduling patient for surgeries, if applicable
• Coordinates direct admission with JMH/UMH.
• Leaves a detailed pending list for scheduled time off
• Update surgeon's outlook and paper surgical calendar.
20% Coordinates outpatient appointment visits, which include but are not limited to:
• Scheduling post-op clinic visits and scheduling diagnostic testing accordingly
• Maintain physician's clinical daily schedule.
• Complete mini registrations in UChart as needed, transfer patients to central registration office.
• Maintain constant communication with patient throughout the process of upcoming surgery and document in UCHART.
• Confirm with patient insurance status with the University. Advise patient if their insurance requires authorization. Single case negotiation on all non-contracted insurance, if applicable.
• Confirmed that all insurance is verified and require authorization is on file.
• Call and confirm appointments the business day prior to clinic.
• Verify all insurance and obtain authorization when require for all appointments schedule within 72 hours prior appointment date.
• Ensure all documentation pertaining to surgery (i.e. Clearances, labs, EKGs, etc.) are scanned into UChart prior to the patient's first post-op visit.
• Provide coverage for absent co-workers as assigned by administration
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
Posted about 11 hours ago
$19.00 per hourPosted about 11 hours ago
Posted about 11 hours ago
Subscribe to job alerts and upload your resume!
*By registering with our site, you agree to our