Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is seeking a Structural Engineer to help grow our A/E design team in Portland, Maine. The ideal candidate will be energetic, have excellent communication skills, and well-rounded technical structural engineering experience. Being well organized, proactive, and able to work independently and in a multi-disciplinary team environment with minimal supervision is important.
The role of the Structural Engineer is to work within multidisciplinary teams of engineers, and designers on building projects with an emphasis on engineering. The successful candidate will be working on the structural scope of multidiscipline projects as either the Designer of Record leading a team of engineers and designers, or as part of the structural engineering team responsible for specific engineering tasks. The nature and progression of the assignments and the level of responsibilities will depend on your experience, performance, and willingness to grow.
This is a great opportunity to work on a variety of projects within the US and around the world. Project types generally include studies, assessment, upgrades and renovations of existing structures, and new construction for federal, state, and private-sector clients. Recent and ongoing projects include highly secure radar facilities; state building renovations; industrial office space, warehouses, and maintenance facilities; water/wastewater infrastructure; and development of design standards for federal agencies. The position will primarily work in an office/home office setting but may require travel to client facilities.
- Lead a team of engineers and designers on structural engineering and design activities through engineering concept to construction documents for multidiscipline design projects.
- Analyze new and existing structures per required code.
- Develop calculation packages as required.
- Perform existing structures assessment to evaluate their capacity and ability to resist new loading requirements; produce technical reports with technically sound recommendations.
- Develop structural models to solve engineering problems based on sound engineering principles.
- Be a key contributor to new business development and growth of Wood's A/E delivery team
- Coach and mentor Junior Engineers and Designers
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Civil/Structural Engineering or related field.
- Professional Engineer registration.
- 8+ years of relevant experience.
- Strong knowledge of a structural analysis software such as STAAD or RISA and willingness and ability to learn new analysis software.
- Demonstrated experience of delivering a range of projects from concept through detailed design and construction completion
- Expertise in developing construction drawings and specifications.
- Knowledge through experience in developing level-of-effort estimate and client proposals.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD and or REVIT.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Join our Portland Wood Team, we are a team of dedicated professionals working to find solutions for our diverse customer base. Our team takes pride in maintaining a small environment, while also having the structure, resources, and opportunities of a large international organization. Our Portland office is right in the heart of Downtown Portland; nestled in a diverse and lively city with an outstanding restaurant scene and lots to do if you are an outdoor enthusiast or love the Arts - something for everyone! Considered the hub of Wood's Northeast Region, we are looking to grow our team to support our current workload as well as advance our strategic planning towards our future vision - Join us!
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.