CURRENT ASSOCIATES OR TEMPORARY ASSOCIATES: Please apply via your internal Workday career account.
It's an exciting time to consider joining OMAX. In April 2019, OMAX Corporation was acquired by Hypertherm, a global 100% employee-owned industrial cutting solutions leader frequently awarded as a Best Place to Work company and celebrated for its culture of ownership and shared rewards.
The integration of the two companies is still in process. With the stability of an over 50-year history with no layoffs, Hypertherm does not plan to make significant changes to OMAX's operations or management structure. The company's current offices and manufacturing operations in Kent, WA, will remain intact with no consolidations or reductions planned.
The Senior Electrical Engineer reports to the Electrical Engineering group manager. This position is part the Product Engineering team composed of engineers, designers, and drafters working on the development of new OMAX product lines.
- Execute electrical engineering duties on a multi-disciplinary product development team tasked to facilitate the successful development, characterization, production and support of industrial water jet machining systems
- Prepare design requirements, performance specifications, functional descriptions, and validation plans appropriate to support highly reliable electrical circuit designs in electrically noisy environments
- Lead technical development, performance validation, and optimization efforts related to multi-axis closed loop motion control systems involving proprietary and standard CNC motion control methods. (Servo motion control involving Step+Direction, EtherCAT, CiA402/CoE)
- Evaluate stage/actuator assembly capabilities, establish, and optimize control loop gains to maximize reliable performance
- Develop control solutions for custom machine actuators, proportional valves, and metering bodies
- Design and troubleshoot reliable mixed mode control circuits involving embedded controls, analog and digital I/O, signal conditioning, and data communication for use in industrial environments.
- Create and maintain product documentation (functional specifications, validation test plans, schematics, BOMs, PCB fabrication data, assembly instructions.)
- Other duties as deemed necessary by the department manager or VP
- Passion for Electrical/Electronic engineering
- BS or MS degree Electrical Engineering and a minimum of 7 years' work experience in a product development environment
- Expertise with machine motion and control (EtherCAT CiA402 machine motion control, stepper/servo drives, dual loop feedback, PID tuning, traction drive positioning systems, lead screw/ball screw positioning systems)
- Circuit design capabilities including use of schematic capture and PCB design software (Altium or Eagle preferred, or experience with PADs, OrCAD, etc.)
- Ability to prepare and analyze power and control circuit schematics, wiring diagrams, logic diagrams, one-line diagrams, and assembly drawings
- Experience and/or interest in embedded control systems and programming (ARM, Microchip, C/C++, Assembly; USB, I^2C, Ethernet communications)
- Familiar with the selection, application, interfacing, and programming of Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs) and motor control circuits/components is a plus
- Familiarity with the regulatory and compliance landscape surrounding industrial machine tools safety is a plus (CE Machine Safety/EMC, NFPA79, UL 508A, ANSI B11, Functional Safety, RoHS, etc.)
- Design experience and capabilities related to Industrial Control Panels is a plus (UL 508A)
- Familiarity and/or interest working with the selection, application, and qualification of Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs), servo drives, servo power supplies, and motors is a plus
- Applicable experience with EMI/EMC topics is a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Professional attitude and the ability to communicate and work across many levels of the organization including Management, Technical Support, Applications and Customers
Location - Kent, Washington
Hypertherm is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all applications. All employment decisions are based on business need, job requirements and our values as an associate-owned company without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This job has expired.