Cost Analysis is part of the University Controller's Office and is responsible for the preparation of financial data related to the University's negotiated Facilities and Administrative (F&A) and Fringe Benefits Rates. Functions of the department also include monitoring service centers as well as maintaining accounting policies which provide compliance with the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Uniform Guidance Part 200 - uniform administrative requirements, cost principles, and audit requirements for federal awards. Requires advanced, in-depth knowledge and understanding of a wide range of financial accounting and grants management issues and serves as the subject matter expert regarding cost accounting policies of the university.
We are seeking a Senior Accountant who participates in the development of the University's F&A rate and Fringe Benefit rate proposals as well as all related analysis. Has to be able to analyze and interpret complex financial data for the purpose of determining past financial performance and/or make financial projections. Record, classify and summarize transactions and events in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, and apply a working knowledge of the OMB Uniform Guidance (Chapter II Part 200), Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), Cost Accounting Standards and other agency specific regulations. Distinguish direct costs that can be identified to a specific sponsored project from indirect costs that are incurred for a common or joint objective. Determine allowability of items of cost to insure that they are reasonable, allocable to sponsored agreements, and consistently treated in accordance with federal guidelines.
Independently interacts with department administrators, external agencies, divisional business officers, research administration and senior management. Engages strong interpersonal skills to build and maintain customer service relationships through positive interactions. May represent the department at university wide meetings and communicates effectively at all levels.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Participate in the Preparation of the University's F&A Rate & Related Analysis:
Participate in the Review & Calculation of the University Fringe Benefit Rate:
- Reconcile data used in cost model for calculating university rates
- Analyze and document variances in the sponsored research base and indirect cost recoveries.
- Provide departments with training for the Space Inventory and Functional Usage Study used to allocate facilities costs to sponsored research.
- Understanding of the major functions of the university as defined in the OMB Uniform Guidance
- Coordinate and work with external consultants on various projects and systems and participate in other cost studies related to the calculation of the University's F&A rate.
Monitor Service Center Accounts & Review:
- Generate reports to obtain revenue and expenditure information in order to determine if costs are properly classified within the university's fringe benefits pool
- Initiate and process journal entries and accruals
- Review costs for allowability in accordance with the Uniform Guidance
- Assist with budget projections for the university's 5 year planning
Provide Technical Service Support & Guidance to the University Community & Organizations Outside the University:
- Work with departments and Divisional Business offices to set up new Service Centers in the financial system
- Review and approve budgets and rate schedules
- Verify the inclusion of all direct costs into the rate schedule, also compare the detailed budget schedule with the rate schedule and verify the inclusion of prior year's surplus/deficit in the rate schedule
- Communicate with departmental personnel to obtain documentation necessary to support service center surplus and deficit balances which are of concern
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Respond to inquiries from internal and external sources and review accounting transactions to locate and resolve discrepancies
- Prepares and presents materials, to groups or individuals, information relating to various complex compliance issues, such as service center accounting, equipment capitalization, inventory accounting and space classification
- Respond to industry surveys (e.g. National Science Foundation and Council on Governmental Relations)
- Assist in developing policies, processes, and procedures to ensure consistent operations
- Utilize interpersonal communication skills to address a wide range of questions from departmental personnel regarding sponsored awards in order to ensure compliance with laws, regulations, policies and procedures
- Advise departments on compliance issues and the interpretation of applicable regulations (e.g. service centers, cost allocations, allowability, etc.)
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance or Related field required.
- Three years of progressively responsible related work experience required.
- If Bachelor's Degree is in unrelated field, four years of progressively responsible experience is required.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.*
- Candidates with an Accounting degree are strongly preferred. CPA or CPA candidate is preferred. SAP experience preferred.
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits (semester hours) may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. ** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Special Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge of grants and contracts and OMB Uniform Guidance.
- Knowledge of JHU financial systems (SAP) preferred.
- Knowledge of CRIS software used in the university rate calculation preferred.
- Ability to use various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate, and format data and/or reports.
Classified Title: Sr. Accountant
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: JH at Keswick
Department name: Cost Analysis
Personnel area: University Administration
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Sr_-Accountant-MD-21211/877876700/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.