Please review the details for the position before applying for the opening. If you are an internal employee, please apply through the internal portal on Workday. You should have your completed resume/cv and cover letter ready to upload. You should upload both documents on the third page (the required section is named resume/cv - this is also where you should upload your cover letter). These documents should either be in a PDF format (.pdf) or a Word document (.doc) format.
Job Posting Title
Job Description Summary
The senior writer for Communications & Public Affairs (C&PA) is focused on researching, writing, and editing communications for Wellesley College president as well as internal communications from senior leadership. These include: speeches and statements, alumnae magazine columns, social media content, other thought-leadership content, as well as communications from the senior leadership team regarding institutional priorities and updates.
The senior writer works with the president and the chief communications officer (CCO) to develop content and messaging. He or she collaborates with the CCO and other members of the senior leadership team on internal communications, and helps evaluate external invitations to the president for speaking engagements. The senior writer will develop and manage a process and timetable for presidential communications and social content to streamline opportunities and ensure that deadlines are met. The senior writer may also take on writing assignments for the C&PA group, as needed.
Primary Position Responsibilities
- Works with the president and the chief communications officer (CCO) to develop speeches, statements, announcements, and talking points for the president. Drafts remarks for most on-campus speaking roles, and collaborates with the CCO on external speaking and writing opportunities as needed.
- Captures and sustains the president's voice across communications and draws from the College's key messages to craft content. Interviews faculty and administrators to obtain information on programs, initiatives, and examples of Wellesley's thought leadership. Remains current with Wellesley facts and stats to support writing. Seeks student and faculty stories to demonstrate key messages and enliven writing.
- Works closely with the CCO to develop internal communication strategy around key initiatives, in collaboration with the president and other members of senior leadership.
- Works with the president and CCO to identify the topics for and draft the president's quarterly alumnae magazine column.
- Manages a timeline for the president's upcoming communications to streamline opportunities and ensure that deadlines are met. Meets regularly with the President's Office staff to clarify assignments, identify missing information, and surface issues to discuss with CCO and/or president.
- Works with the editorial and social media director to manage the president's social media presence.
- Takes on related duties and special projects as assigned.
Education RequiredExperience Required
- Communications are well written and capture the president's voice and message
- Complex issues are communicated in a thoughtful, compelling, sensitive, and accessible fashion
- All work reflects and brings to life the College's mission, values, and brand messaging
- Able to think strategically about internal communications in terms of messaging and audiences
- Cultivates strong working relationships those who work in the President's Office, and the C&PA team
- Multiple deadlines are met in the ongoing management of urgent, short-term projects and complex, longer-term projects
- Controversial issues are addressed with diplomacy and tact
Skills and Abilities Required
- 5+ years' writing experience, preferably in executive and internal communications.
- Demonstrated writing and editing ability-writing should be strategic, compelling, and persuasive
- Outstanding storyteller
- Strong research skills
- Rigorous attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to juggle competing priorities and conflicting deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills-must be effective at working with a variety of people and circumstances
- Good judgment; strong sense of discretion
- Must develop a thorough understanding of the College's mission, key messages, and visual identity
- Must develop a thorough knowledge about administrative policy issues
- Must develop a thorough knowledge of the College and its key audiences: faculty, staff, students, and alumnae
This position works closely with the chief communications officer to craft communications for the president, and works with faculty, staff and other senior leaders to create content designed to further establish the president's (and the College's) thought leadership. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working within a collaborative, matrix organization, where cross-organization teamwork is the norm.
All employees hired after August 2, 2021 are required to upload proof of vaccination and booster against COVID-19, subject to approved medical or religious exemptions or disability accommodations.Worker Sub-Type
Full timeEEO StatementAt Wellesley, we embrace and honor difference and diversity. We believe the best ideas-the best solutions-draw on a range of voices, perspectives, and experiences. As a college, and as a community, we are dedicated to assuring that all members for the Wellesley community have an equal opportunity to flourish. Wellesley College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we are committed to increasing the diversity of the college community and the curriculum. Wellesley College and all its subcontractors shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that Wellesley College and all of its subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. Candidates who believe they can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply.
This job has expired.