Senior Scientist, Protein Engineering
Location: Gaithersburg, MD (US)
Do you have a passion for Science? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the company for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being entrepreneurial, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you're our kind of person.
Summary of the Group
Biologics Engineering is responsible for the discovery, design, engineering, and optimization of next generation biologics to create biological drug candidates against diseases with improved safety and efficacy. The Multi-specific Engineering Team designs, engineers, and optimizes complex therapeutics through structure-function principles while collaborating broadly across the AZ Research organization. We're constantly pushing the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients, with a passion for the development of in-house biologics discovery platforms and novel drug modalities to address unmet medical needs.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
Seeking a skilled and highly motivated scientist to enhance our antibody-based platform technology efforts. The successful candidate will be excited by research at the interface where innovative technology meets Biology.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Lead collaborative workstreams with a diverse group of scientists across all therapeutic areas to ensure timely progress in research projects and drive technological innovations.
- Conceive, design, and execute the engineering of innovative multispecific antibodies with improved selectivity and developability
- Biochemical, biophysical and functional characterization of antibodies and multispecific modalities
- Prepare, analyze, and present data internally and externally
PhD in Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or other relevant scientific field.Required Skills
Desired Skills and experience:
- Extensive hands-on experience in molecular biology and antibody engineering, including; design, expression, purification and biochemical/biophysical characterization of various bispecific antibody formats
- Proven ability to work independently, effectively plan and organize work activities and prioritize task completion to meet project deadlines
- Deep understanding of various imaging/multicolor flow cytometry-based instruments and data analysis programs
- Comprehensive experience in tissue culture techniques and functional cell-based assay development
- Demonstrated experience in optimizing/troubleshooting protocols with a problem-solving mindset
- Track record of scientific innovation as evidenced by scientific publications, patents and oral presentations at conferences
About AstraZeneca in Gaithersburg, MD:
- 2+ years of post-doctoral experience in antibody engineering and/or bispecific antibody technologies.
- Understanding of protein structure-function relationships and antibody structural remodeling
- Experience in engineering antibodies with improved properties (e.g., affinity, solubility, and other attributes related to developability)
- Background in antibody discovery using one of several display-based technologies
- Working knowledge of automation and high-throughput screening from bacterial or mammalian expression systems
- Experience in immunocytokine and T-cell engager
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and effective presentation of complex scientific data to cross-functional and senior management
Our Gaithersburg, Maryland facility creates life-changing medicines for people around the world. This campus employs more than 3,500 experts in our field and is only a short drive from Washington, DC. This modern and vibrant scientific campus is the home of R&D and Oncology in the US. Here, we play host to some of the most cutting-edge technology and lab spaces, all designed to inspire collaboration and cross-functional science. We believe employees benefit from being challenged and inspired at work. We are dedicated to creating a culture of inclusion and collaboration.
The Gaithersburg site offers a variety of amenities to help boost productivity and help keep our employees stay happy and healthy. This includes a fitness center, employee healthcare clinic, electric vehicle charging stations, dry cleaning, full-service cafeteria and copy center. This is where you'll find newly-designed, activity-based work spaces to suit a variety of working styles while increasing collaboration between teams.Why AstraZeneca
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we're opening new ways to work, pioneering cutting edge methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what's next?
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it's yours.Where can I find out more?
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazeneca/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.
This job has expired.