Senior Program Manager, Science
The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth (CTY) is a nonprofit dedicated to identifying and developing the talents of academically advanced K-12 students around the world. We provide today's brightest students with fun, challenging courses; a community of engaged learners; and a strong foundation for future success in college and their careers.
Want to join our team? We are looking for mission-driven problem-solvers who can thrive in CTY's diverse, collaborative, fast-paced, and results-driven work environment. We value innovation, creativity, integrity, and a shared commitment to the bright young people we serve. In return, we offer employees the opportunity to be part of the Johns Hopkins community and to take advantage of our generous benefits package, which includes affordable health-care options and tuition assistance for employees and their families.
We are seeking a Senior Program Manager - Science who will lead the Science Program and all related courses within CTY Online Programs from catalog inception and maintenance through hiring and staffing the instructional team.
Courses offered are from grades 2 through high school, including AP Biology, AP Chemistry, and AP Physics 1 and 2. All courses support critical thinking, problem solving, and reasoning, and encourage a real-life, hands on approach to understanding Earth, space, life sciences, chemistry, and the physical world. Each course includes a lab component, where students apply their knowledge of the concepts learned by developing the lab skills by making observations, collecting and analyzing data through the use of a lab kit, or common household materials. Students engage in interactive web-based lessons and applications, and are assessed through quizzes, exams, labs, projects, discussions, and simulations.
Science courses in CTY Online Programs operate in several different formats, including asynchronous individually paced courses, where students move at their own pace, session-based courses that have a defined start and end time, LIVE courses, where students explore special topics of interest with other students who love learning together in a virtual and interactive environment, and Problem-Based (PBL) courses, where students work with their classmates to solve real-world issues in a virtual and interactive environment.
The Senior Program Manager will work with colleagues across programs and other parts of JHU and CTY to develop new concepts for courses, course improvements, research projects, etc. This is a leadership role that will be responsible for building and leading the Science team with specific focus on proactive professional and career development including identifying any curriculum gaps, seeking support to identify solutions. The role will also handle escalated student and parent issues with professionalism and care for our student's learning objectives.
This position is hybrid within the U.S. only.
This position does not offer sponsorship.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Staffing Identification & Development:
Student & Family Communications:
- Oversee Assistant Program Managers, full-time supervisors, and part-time/casual instructors to ensure that all team members are providing students and families with an academic experience of quality and rigor.
- Oversee the hiring, training of all department staff.
- Guide staff thorough program adaptations - bring priority to change management and employee engagement in the change process.
- Provide team members with appropriate professional development opportunities across all team level.
- Manage staff, develop accountability systems to highlight and manage possible issues, monitoring for satisfactory performance, and provide constructive criticism and feedback for personnel and product improvement.
- Ensure supervisors are proactively engaged in the support and review of all instructors' work.
- Ensure instructors have provided appropriate responses and feedback to parents and students.
- Review instructors' recorded sessions to ensure quality in their work.
Curriculum Continuous Improvement:
- Liaison with CTY families as needed.
- Address any academic integrity issues as they arise in your subject. Identify any required course improvements to maintain academic integrity.
- Respond to inquiries from parents and students around placement or customer service related issues.
- Where appropriate, answer emails or phone calls from parents to give them more information about courseware.
- Provide feedback on course placements to parents regarding their students.
- Take into consideration parents' and students' feedback to continue to improve the program and Instructors.
As part of curriculum refresh working groups, review curriculum textbook and digital courseware partners and identify course material that will be most effective in helping gifted learners. Working Across JHU & CTY:
- Working with the Senior Program Officer, Curriculum, and the Senior Program Officer, Teaching and Learning, analyze quantitative data to inform decision making processes related to course curriculum of the online Science program
- Using a continuous improvement model, analyze Learning Management System (LMS) data and student outcomes data, review and enhance course materials.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Degree of Independent Action Performed:
- Work with CTY and Johns Hopkins School of Education researchers in development and support of research projects. Includes making changes to courses to support research, monitoring experimental instructional models and student performance, etc.
- Work with JHU undergraduate and graduate students and have them participate as members of your team during research, internship, practicum, etc.
- Serve on CTY committees as requested (e.g., Accreditation)
- Assist CTY International and school-based projects.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Work independently as well as with production team to ensure all deadlines are met.
- Works closely with other Program Managers department and CTY leadership.
- Bachelor's Degree in a Science related field is required.
- At least ten years related experience in the role of direct instruction, curriculum development, courseware development, or similar educational or product development experience.
- Advanced knowledge of Next Generation Science standard principals and approach in curriculum.
- At least three years' experience managing an instructional or curriculum development staff.
- Additional education may be substituted for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.*
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits (semester hours) may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. ** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Master's and/or PhD Degree in a Science related field strongly preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of grade 2 - high school science courses. Prior experience building curriculum in an online environment strongly preferred.
- Experience in an applied/industrial background in addition to the traditional K-12+ sequence strongly preferred.
- Experience developing content for LMS delivery highly desired.
- Experience managing and motivating a geographically diverse workforce.
- Effective problem-solving and critical-thinking skills; ability to predict, identify, and resolve issues in a timely and effective manner.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to work well with other team members.
- Ability to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery.
- The incumbent will be required to communicate regularly via telephone and face to face with internal and external customers and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings.
- Position also requires a degree of mobility common to working in an office environment; bending, kneeling or standing during events and presentations may be required.
- Manages team of 7 full time staff members, as well as group of 250+ casual employees and/or contractors.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
- The Senior Program Manager position is based out of the Mount Washington campus located in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Teleworking options are allowed up to two days per week maximum (Mondays and Fridays).
Classified Title: CTY Online Sr. Program Manager
Working Title: Senior Program Manager, Science
Starting Salary Range: $61,550 - $84,700 annually (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30-5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Hybrid/Mount Washington Campus
Department name: CTY Online Science
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Senior-Program-Manager,-Science-MD-21209/876877100/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.