GENERAL SUMMARY:Under the general supervision of Registered Respiratory Therapists, provides direct Respiratory Care to patients by administering Respiratory Therapy modalities including the set-up and administration of oxygen therapy, aerosol therapy, and medication nebulization therapy; the application of Chest Physiotherapy (CPT) techniques, ambulating patients with portable suction, performing tracheostomy care, and assisting with bronchoscopies.Make regular rounds and administers modalities according to plan established by a respiratory therapist; performs patient assessments, observes and reports patients' progress and reactions to treatment. Makes suggestions for modification of treatment plan to respiratory therapist as indicated.Confers with patients, explaining treatments and breathing procedures in order to allay fears and anxiety and to elicit cooperation.Completes necessary documentation of treatments given and patients' responses, and reports to the respiratory therapist, nurse, and physician as needed. Maintains appropriate departmental records.Assists in instruction of patients and/or family members in respiratory techniques and the use of respiratory equipment in the home necessary to continue patient care and rehabilitation.Maintains continuing education relating to cultural competency. The individual in this position must demonstrate an understanding of the diversity of our patient population to include but not limited to age, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, income, position, sexual orientation, gender or background.Attends and participates in internal and external educational meetings to maintain and enhance clinical competencies including daily patient care reports, as well as staff meetings and conferences as scheduled.Maintains continuing education relating to age-specific care. The individual in this position must demonstrate appropriate knowledge of the principals of growth and development of the adolescent through the geriatric patient. In addition, she/he must possess the ability to assess patient data relative to age-specific needs and provide care as described in the department's policies and procedures.Qualifications QUALIFICATIONS:High School Diploma or the equivalentEnrollment in formal training in a Respiratory Care ProgramStudent license/limited permit issued by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Under the general supervision and according to established policies and procedures, delivers Respiratory Therapy modalities to provide respiratory support to patients. Assists professional Respiratory Care personnel with routine tests and procedures.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Work requires 3-4 weeks of orientation to acquire necessary familiarity with departmental policies and procedures.SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- The student license/limited permit is continually updated as the student demonstrates competence with specific tasks/procedures. The list of approved tasks/procedures is signed by program faculty, and the updated list is sent to the license board. A copy of this list is maintained in the BWH Respiratory Care Department.
- Must demonstrate good interpersonal skills necessary to interact with nurses, physicians, and other hospital personnel. Must be able to interact effectively with sick and/or irritable patients to elicit desired responses to treatment.
- Must have technical knowledge of Respiratory Therapy procedures, techniques and objectives.
- Must be able to set up and operate all Respiratory Therapy equipment necessary to perform duties.
- Work requires prolonged walking, standing, and moderate use of upper extremities. Lifts and positions patients (40% of the time). May be required to transport heavy equipment and gas cylinders to and from patient areas.
BWH is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
This job has expired.