Research Specialist II
The Department of Radiology is seeking a Research Specialist II who, in addition to assisting with experiments, will also function as the Lab Manager. This role will coordinate and oversee the day-to-day operations of the lab and ensure that it is functional and available for researchers to conduct experiments.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
The Research Specialist II will have the following responsibilities that include:
- Assists with the daily lab operation and ensures that all equipment is in optimal and proper working condition
- Performs routine cell culture, tissue sectioning, and immunohistological staining laboratory procedures.
- Maintains breeding colony of multiple mouse strains, including record keeping.
- Assists with in vivo imaging experiments.
- Injects animals and harvest primary tissue specimens according to protocols.
- Harvests and process brains for immunohistochemistry/ immunocytochemistry, and imaging. Assists with stereotactic injections.
- Perform and analyze animal neurofunctional and behavioral tasks.
- Molecular Biology techniques like western blot, protein purification, RNA/ DNA extraction, transfection and transformation.
- Maintains inventory of supplies, equipment and/or reagents.
- Assists with ordering supplies/equipment/reagents as authorized or ensures that needs are escalated appropriately.
- Receives supply orders and confirms accuracy of delivery.
- Collects, analyzes, and assures validity of data and reports to the Director/PI.
- Is the primary point person for biosafety and chemical biohazard compliance.
- Coordinate events and meetings.
- Train and assist lab members and collaborators with experiments and equipment usage.
- With more experience, actively participates in designing new experiments, assists with manuscript writing, and presents papers at the journal club.
- Defrost and de-ice freezers; clean condensers and filters.
- Sterilize cell incubators, biosafety cabinets, and water bath - at least biannually.
- Arrange for the certification of biosafety cabinets and anesthesia vaporizers.
- Pack and label the shipment to be compliant with DOT and IATA regulations.
- Prepare customs, regulatory, and shipment documentation.
- Monitor and order CO2 tanks for incubators, nitrogen tanks for hypoxic incubators, and oxygen tanks for surgery.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Maintain a log of safety equipment inspections, and arrange repairs if needed.
- Monitor the usage log, level, expiration date, and safekeeping of controlled substances.
- Compile lab-specific safety manual to be compliant with CDC/NIH BMBL (Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Labs) requirement and upload to the lab server.
- Assisting with the following:Genomic DNA isolation, PCR, Gel Electrophoresis, Lentiviral production, Transfection, Transduction, Genotyping, Plasmid propagation and purification.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Chemistry or related field.
- 2 years laboratory experience performing relevant techniques.
- Master's Degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.*
* JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits (semester hours) may substitute for one year of experience. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job. ** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications:
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Background in cell biology or working with extracellular vesicles is a plus.
- Additional experience with extensive bench lab work is preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise at working across and within disciplines.
- A proven team player with interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Classified Title: Research Specialist II
Starting Salary Range: $39,310 - $54,060 annually (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: m-f 8:30-5:00
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM Rad Cancer Imaging Research
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Research-Specialist-II-MD-21287/877132200/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.