The Retrovirus Laboratory within the Department of Molecular and Comparative Pathobiology is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic, and detail-oriented Research Specialist for a Laboratory devoted to the study of the consequences of HIV in an in vivo model. Under the general supervision of the Lab Manager, the candidate will be responsible for performing cell culture techniques, and related experimental methodologies, as well as laboratory maintenance and organization.
Following training, the Research Technologist will oversee the shared space in the BSL2+ lab by maintaining biosafety standards, stocking common reagents & supplies, maintaining virus stocks & cells lines, and processing fluids and tissues from our in vivo model. The candidate will also gain expertise in using BD Fortessa instrument to perform flow cytometry techniques and analyze data. Candidate will follow established procedures and utilize aseptic technique to perform experiments, which may also include PCR, Western blotting, tissue sectioning, reagent preparation, and other molecular biology techniques.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Work requires basic use of scientific methods, procedures and techniques gained through previous training and experience. Uses basic understanding of theory behind experiments and applies basic analytical skills to implement assigned projects, and to identify and trouble-shoot situations needing special attention.
- Follows established procedures or protocols and utilizes aseptic technique to perform routine molecular biology assays on animal or human fluids and/or tissue or cultured cell lines.
- Maintains biosafety registration for recombinant DNA and biological agents with HSE.
- Laboratory maintenance and participation in cleaning of common laboratory space/equipment.
- Using universal safety precautions to protect self and co-workers from biohazardous materials.
- Monitor inventory levels and orders supplies and reagents.
- Use software applications, including Excel spreadsheets, GraphPad Prism, Papers reference library software, and statistical and graphics software to interpret and analyze data, as well as generate figures, tables, and presentations from data.
- Maintain excellent written records.
- Contribute to grant writing.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Trouble shoot and resolve issues that occur during the study that may occur.
- Read and summarize research.
- Teach/train all new technicians, graduate students & post docs who utilize the space on proper procedures.
- Teach/train all new techniques, graduate students & post docs on techniques from basic cell culture to more specialized techniques as needed.
- Participate in all mandatory meetings to develop increasing knowledge of assigned research and broader scientific field.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Chemistry or related field with 2 years' experience or Master's Degree in Biology Chemistry or related field.
* Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications:
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Experience overseeing sterile tissue culture.
- Experience with aseptic technique and sterile tissue culture.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite is essential.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including both written and oral communication.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- The ability to work independently and reliably with minimal supervision.
- Supervision of anyone working in BSL2+ space.
Classified Title: Research Specialist
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM Comp Med Retrovirus Bio Laboratory
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Research-Specialist-MD-21205/890524900/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.