The Bauer Core Facility provides state-of-the-art instrumentation and expertise to scientists at Harvard. Our goal is to advance research efforts in the life sciences that cannot readily be accomplished in the traditional academic laboratory because of a need for expensive instrumentation or technical expertise.
Our Core Scientists consult with researchers to help them choose the best technologies for their projects and design careful experiments. We provide hands-on training and support to enable researchers to use our instruments independently and run core instruments as a service.
This opportunity will allow one to contribute to cutting-edge research while honing skills on a wide variety of instruments. Learn more about our facility and our team here: https://bauercore.fas.harvard.edu/.
Position Description :
- Executes a range of complex scientific research activities in a core facility with a primary focus on sequencing using Illumina, Pacific Biosciences, and Oxford Nanopore technologies.
- Assists with experimental design, sample preparation, data collection, and analyses of sequencing projects.
- Trains researchers on core instrumentation and protocols.
- Develops and optimizes protocols using instrumentation and automation available in the core lab.
- Interacts daily with users of the core facility. These users are technicians, undergraduate students, graduate students, post-docs, and faculty members from departments across the FAS, other Harvard schools (HMS, SEAS, HSPH, HSDM), and from outside Harvard.
- Works closely as part of the core staff team to ensure projects move smoothly through multiple steps and that all information is handed off properly to the next staff member involved in a project.
- Partners with Research Computing and Informatics team members to help coordinate project submissions, resource reservations, software access, data analysis, and data storage.
Basic Qualifications :
5+ years of relevant work experience in a molecular biology or similar laboratory conducting sequencing or similar experiments. Post-secondary education in the fields of Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, or similar can be applied toward experience requirements.
Additional Qualifications and Skills :
- Experience with Illumina, Pacific Biosciences, and/or Oxford Nanopore sequencing.
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service including patience with new researchers and ability to communicate complex, technical material verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently, be self-motivated, and have a willingness to learn and implement new techniques.
We are committed to cultivating not only the diversity of our faculty, staff, and students but also in developing an inclusive culture that is vibrant, engaging and encouraging of innovation as well as intellectual debate. We believe creating and maintaining an inclusive workplace allows employees from all backgrounds and walks of life to achieve their fullest potential. We also believe an inclusive culture is one that accepts, values and views as strength the difference we all bring to the workplace.
We regret that Harvard University is unable to provide work authorization and/or visa sponsorship for this position.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
This job has expired.
- Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 12.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.