Dow Industrial Solutions (DIS) is seeking a confident and proven chemical process R&D Technologist interested in developing products and technology for downstream oil and gas processing and for emerging markets in decarbonization and the energy transition. DIS' Refining & Processing business is a successful, high margin unit providing performance products and expert consultancy to the gas midstream and oil refining industries. Our core technology resides in gas treating - the capture of CO2 and H2S, which is critical for oil and gas infrastructure and for decarbonizing the energy sector. This role centers on application process research involving product performance testing in lab-scale pilot plant units - the treatment of hydrocarbon gases and liquids with formulated aqueous amine/glycol solvents. It presents outstanding opportunity to do impactful science, develop leadership, and serve top strategic projects. This is a laboratory job at Dow's Texas Innovation Center, located in Lake Jackson, TX. Applicants must be able to work on site, during daytime, weekday business hours as a regular schedule. The role does support 9-Day Biweekly (Alternating Friday off) flexible work arrangement.
* Understand and apply fundamentals of chemistry and chemical process technology in the safe maintenance and operation of complex, lab-scale pilot plant processes.
* Lead and execute complex operations and tasks capably with minimal to no supervision.
* Specifically, maintain and operate lab-scale pilot plants: i) Gas Treating Pilot Plant and ii) LPG/NGL Treater. [LPG = liquefied petroleum gas; NGL = natural gas liquids]
* Design and construct laboratory experimental apparatuses, and develop associated operating procedures.
* Train work group members on laboratory operations, including those for experimental activities and routine laboratory logistics (e.g., safety compliance tasks, waste packaging).
* Comprehend project objectives and strategy. Align activities in accordance, with a high degree of being able to prescribe own work. Self-direct and outline tactical execution.
* Serve as integral project team member. Able to constructively engage project leaders, co-workers and collaborators in other Dow functions (TS&D; Marketing; Sales).
* Innovate and recommend methods to improve work, including equipment, procedures, and management.
***The Dow Chemical Company does not offer relocation assistance for this position. This includes reimbursement for travel expenses incurred to and from test sessions/interviews. If you apply for a position that is not within the area in which you reside, you will be responsible for all costs that you incur.
* A minimum 5 years of experience in laboratory chemical process R&D OR pilot plants OR chemical manufacturing operations.
* Experience independently designing, constructing, operating and maintaining lab-scale chemical processing apparatuses or pilot plants.
* Must be 18 years old or older.
* A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
* Experience leading capital projects is a plus.
* Formal education in chemistry or degrees in Chemistry, Chemical Process Technology, or equivalent
* Holds a minimum of basic, fundamental knowledge of chemical manufacturing unit operations, including and not limited to mass transport, heat exchange, separations processes, and reactors.
* Strong candidates will have experience leading and executing, with high degree of independence, the design, construction and commissioning of lab and pilot-scale chemical processing apparatuses.
* Experience with hydrocarbon processing and distillation is highly preferred.
* Experience with board operation of automated, programmable logic controlled systems is highly preferred (Siemens; Allen Bradley; LabView).
* Must be proficient in English.
Must be willing and able to do the following with or without a reasonable accommodation.
* Able to wear personal protective equipment, including and not limited to lab coat, goggles, gloves, face shield, and gas detector (hydrogen sulfide; flammable gas)
* Able to work for extended periods of time in a laboratory (up to majority of scheduled time)
* Able to use common mechanics' tools - drivers, wrenches, tubing benders and cutters
* Frequent/occasional lifting of material weighing approximately 50 lbs confidently and safely. Examples include positioning and configuring laboratory equipment, such as pumps, vessels, instruments, and gas cylinders
* An associate degree or higher
* In lieu of an associate degree or higher, Dow Chemical will consider those with four (4) + years of relevant military experience and a High School Diploma or GED.
This role will have an assessment to complete during the application process. Please allow 30 minutes - 1 hour to complete the assessment at the time of application. You will not be able to save your application for later.
Even if you have taken this assessment before please click on the link. An assessment is required for each position you apply to.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines global breadth, asset integration and scale, focused innovation and leading business positions to achieve profitable growth. The Company's ambition is to become the most innovative, customer centric, inclusive and sustainable materials science company, with a purpose to deliver a sustainable future for the world through our materials science expertise and collaboration with our partners. Dow's portfolio of plastics, industrial intermediates, coatings and silicones businesses delivers a broad range of differentiated science-based products and solutions for its customers in high-growth market segments, such as packaging, infrastructure, mobility and consumer care. Dow operates 106 manufacturing sites in 31 countries and employs approximately 35,700 people. Dow delivered sales of approximately $39 billion in 2020. References to Dow or the Company mean Dow Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information, please visit www.dow.com or follow @DowNewsroom on Twitter.
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to equal opportunities in employment. We encourage every employee to bring their whole self to work each day to not only deliver more value, but also have a more fulfilling career. Further information regarding Dow's equal opportunities is available on www.dow.com.Dow is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and is committed to providing opportunities without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at http://www.dow.com/en-us/contact-us or you may call us at 1-833-My Dow HR and select option 0, then press *.
Posted about 2 hours ago
Posted about 2 hours ago
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posted about 2 hours ago