Do you have an interest in being part of a dynamic health and medical publishing team? This might be your opportunity to join us as a Publisher!
We are looking for a bright and enthusiastic publisher to manage and develop a portfolio of journals wiht a strong focus on Oncology within the Health & Medical Sciences (HMS) team, which is part of our larger Science, Technology & Medical Journals (STMJ) Publishing Organization. This role can be based in one of Elsevier's primary publishing
The role balances academic research and publishing knowledge with a keen interest in online and Open Access developments, a strong affinity for building and managing relationships, and business acumen.
The successful applicant will be competent at working independently while contributing to team initiatives.
Key Result Areas
Portfolio Management and Development
- Develop the strategy for the portfolio; ensure alignment with the department's and wider organization's strategies.
- Work with editors, authors, editorial boards, societies, and the academic community at large to ensure sufficient copy flow of relevant, high quality manuscripts.
- Negotiate and manage contractual relationships with journal editors and societies.
- Continuous and proactive maintenance of the existing portfolio, matching developments in the external marketplace, including the development of Open Access initiatives.
- Continuous quality control and monitoring of all aspects of day-to-day editorial, production, and publishing operations and actively address improvements where required.
- Meet portfolio-related objectives with regards to content growth, articles market share, citation share, relative impact factor, editorial speeds, and author and editor satisfaction.
- Manage budgets and provide input to pricing processes. Monitor and influence journals' financial performance.
- Experience in data gathering, presentation, and interpretation.
Relationship Management and Networking
- Establish, manage and maintain excellent contacts and networks with key external stakeholders, including editors, authors, society representatives, university leadership and industry, with a view to understanding their professional and organizational needs and ongoing market developments.
- Establish, manage and maintain excellent contacts with key stakeholders within the company, including editorial, production, publishing, marketing, technology and other teams, coordinating activities as they relate to the portfolio's needs and development.
- Identify and map market needs and business opportunities.
- Develop, and where feasible acquire, new products and services, including society journals
- Collaborative, creative, innovative
- Proactive, responsive, results oriented
- Flexibility with working in a complex, matrix international environment
- Willingness to travel internationally
What you should bring:
- Excellent networking skills
- Strong communication and presentation skills (both verbal and written)
- Commercial awareness and negotiation skills
- Financial awareness and business acumen
- Knowledge of relevant parts of the scientific and health/medical world, sociology and needs
Educational level and experience:
- University degree - essential
- Minimum of two years journal publishing experience or equivalent relevant industry or postdoctoral experience - desirable
- Fluent English speaker - essential.
Elsevier is an equal opportunity employer: qualified applicants are considered for and treated during employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, disability status, protected veteran status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. If a qualified individual with a disability or disabled veteran needs a reasonable accommodation to use or access our online system, that individual should please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or if you are based in the US you may also contact us on 1.855.833.5120.