Postdoctoral Research Fellowships (Optical Coherence Tomography)
Guillermo (Gary) J. Tearney, M.D., Ph.D.
Tearney Lab - Wellman Center for Photomedicine
Massachusetts General Hospital
The Tearney Lab is an 80+ person multidisciplinary lab led by Guillermo (Gary) Tearney, MD, PhD. The goal of the Tearney Lab is to see every cell in the human body so that disease can be detected at its earliest stages when it can be cured.
To this end, the lab has pioneered multiple optical coherence tomography (OCT) devices that enable 3D imaging at the microscopic scale in living human patients. These technologies include multimodality OCT where OCT is combined with spectroscopy, fluorescence, and other optical techniques, ultrahigh-resolution OCT (µOCT) where the resolution is sufficiently detailed to visualize individual cells, and functional OCT that measures the function and metabolism of cells in living systems. These technologies are implemented in a variety of devices (endoscopes, catheters, capsules, implantable) that provide accessible imaging anywhere inside the body. The lab has major programs to overcome clinical diagnostic challenges in celiac disease, food allergy disorders, malnutrition, coronary artery disease, hearing loss, GI cancer, and cystic fibrosis, among others. Novel technologies are created using device development processes and tested and validated in over 15 ongoing single- and multi-center clinical studies.
To enable this broad translational research, the Tearney Lab is outfitted with:
• Robust engineering, quality, and clinical regulatory teams
• State of the art optical laboratories
• Two class 10,000 clean rooms
• Multiple rapid prototyping facilities
• Nanoscribe optical printing
• Machine learning core
The role will:
Develop novel OCT based-devices for in-vivo imaging including high-resolution micro-OCT, dynamic OCT, fluorescence OCT, white light OCT, diffuse reflectance OCT, and OCT combined with ultrasound.
Develop novel optical devices based on other optical modalities such as spectrally encoded confocal microscopy, and photoacoustics
Implement technologies in one or more of the following organ systems: heart, lungs, brain, ears, gastrointestinal tract
Guide research questions, design studies, and monitor the execution of those studies
Guide and oversee engineers and technicians on the research aspects of your projects and ensure they are being done to a scientifically valid and publishable standard
Hold regular technical meetings, set the agenda, and outline a sequence of work for technicians and engineers to follow
Publish in world-leading high impact journals
Deliver milestones on time
This appointment will be made at the rank of postdoctoral fellow or instructor at Harvard Medical School, commensurate with the applicant's experience. MGH's role as a leading teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School and close ties to Harvard University and MIT provide an outstanding environment for developing and translating new OCT technologies with applications in basic and clinical research.
Representative recent publications from our group include:
1. Dong, J., C. Grant, B. Vuong, N. Nishioka, A.H. Gao, M. Beatty, G. Baldwin, A. Baillargeon, A. Bablouzian, P. Grahmann, N. Bhat, E. Ryan, A. Barrios, S. Giddings, T. Ford, E. Beaulieu-Ouellet, S.H. Hosseiny, I. Lerman, W. Trasischker, R. Reddy, K. Singh, M. Gora, D. Hyun, L. Queneherve, M. Wallace, H. Wolfsen, P. Sharma, K.K. Wang, C.L. Leggett, J. Poneros, J.A. Abrams, C. Lightdale, S. Leeds, M. Rosenberg, and G.J. Tearney, Feasibility and Safety of Tethered Capsule Endomicroscopy in Patients With Barrett's Esophagus in a Multi-Center Study. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol, 2022. 20(4): p. 756-765 e3.
2. Wartak, A., A.K. Kelada, P.A. Leon Alarcon, A.L. Bablouzian, O.O. Ahsen, A.L. Gregg, Y. Wei, K. Bollavaram, C.J. Sheil, E. Farewell, S. VanTol, R. Smith, P. Grahmann, A.R. Baillargeon, J.A. Gardecki, and G.J. Tearney, Dual-modality optical coherence tomography and fluorescence tethered capsule endomicroscopy. Biomed Opt Express, 2021. 12(7): p. 4308-4323.
3. Osborn, E.A., G.J. Ughi, J.W. Verjans, Z. Piao, E. Gerbaud, M. Albaghdadi, H. Khraishah, M.B. Kassab, R.A.P. Takx, J. Cui, A. Mauskapf, C. Shen, R.W. Yeh, M.T. Klimas, A. Tawakol, G.J. Tearney*, and F.A. Jaffer*, Intravascular Molecular-Structural Assessment of Arterial Inflammation in Preclinical Atherosclerosis Progression. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging, 2021. 14(11): p. 2265-2267.
4. Yin, B., Z. Piao, K. Nishimiya, C. Hyun, J.A. Gardecki, A. Mauskapf, F.A. Jaffer, and G.J. Tearney, 3D cellular-resolution imaging in arteries using few-mode interferometry. Light Sci Appl, 2019. 8: p. 104.
5. Leung, H.M., S.E. Birket, C. Hyun, T.N. Ford, D. Cui, G.M. Solomon, R.J. Shei, A.T. Adewale, A.R. Lenzie, C.M. Fernandez-Petty, H. Zheng, J.H. Palermo, D.Y. Cho, B.A. Woodworth, L.M. Yonker, B.P. Hurley, S.M. Rowe, and G.J. Tearney, Intranasal micro-optical coherence tomography imaging for cystic fibrosis studies. Sci Transl Med, 2019. 11(504).
A PhD (or equivalent) in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or a related field is required.
A strong background in optical coherence tomography along with multiple publications
A strong grounding in fundamental optics theory
A strong understanding of tissue optical properties
Experience in modeling of light/tissue interactions
A background in fiber probe design (e.g., ball lens, grin lens) including proximal and distal scanning
Strong computational background
A practical understanding of hardware control of optical and related instrumentation to include a working understanding of analog/digital circuits
An organized and creative problem-solver
Interested candidates are encouraged to send a CV accompanied by a cover letter describing any previous research training, specific areas of interest, and contact information for three letters of reference. Address correspondence to Dr. Gary Tearney, note the position you are applying for in the subject line, and send by email to email@example.com
MGH is an equal opportunity employer.
Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
Posted about 6 hours ago
Posted about 1 hour ago
De Pere, Wisconsin
Posted about 1 hour ago
Subscribe to job alerts and add your resume to our resume database for employers!