West Virginia University Research Corporation is seeking applications for a Post Doctoral Fellow in the Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Cell Biology
About the Opportunity
We are hiring a postdoctoral trainee to participate on an R01 funded vaccine development project for Lyme disease. Our team uses in vitro and in vivo animal models, cell and molecular biology techniques, next-generation sequencing, and highly complex immunological assays to determine vaccine efficacy.
The current project focuses on the development of mRNA and peptide-based vaccine to protect against Lyme disease. This includes:
- Performing antigen identification using molecular modeling, immunogenicity studies, and in vivo gene expression analysis
- Testing peptide vaccine efficacy using B. burgdorferi murine models of vaccination and challenge
- Characterizing T and B cell responses during B. burgdorferi vaccination and challenge
- Work on novel mRNA vaccines in collaboration with industry partners associated with the WVU Vaccine Development center
At WVU Research Corporation, we strongly believe in work-life balance and keeping time for things we love outside our work. WVU Research Corporation offers a comprehensive benefits package with a variety of options to suit your needs:
• 13 paid holidays (staff holiday calendar)
• 403(b) retirement savings with a fully vested 3% employee contribution match, (Employees have the option of contributing an additional 1-3% of their earnings to the plan, which is also matched by the WVURC)
• A range of health insurance and various other benefits
• Dependent Education Scholarship
• WVU Perks
• And More!!What you’ll do:
- Conducting Molecular Biology Techniques.
- Conducting vaccinology research.
- Conducting animal challenge experiments.
- Conducting Immunological assays such as ELISA, and Flow Cytometry.
- Supporting routine laboratory operation, such as preparation of reagents and maintenance of animal colonies, cleaning and organization of the laboratory
- Assisting graduate and undergraduate students.
- Preparing manuscript and data presentations.
- Ordering of necessary materials and resources, scheduling/coordination, culture of bacteria, challenge, and evaluation of vaccine correlates of protection.
- Infection, monitoring, and data collection of animal models of infection in relation to vaccination.
- The candidate will develop new laboratory protocols and methods.
- Attend research conferences and read scientific literature to keep abreast of technological advances and current research findings.
- Perform laboratory and field experiment activities according to protocol. Assure compliance with research protocols and safety requirements.
- Assist with undergraduate and graduate researchers training
- Assist with the completion of experiments, maintain lab equipment, keep accurate inventory of lab assets, and monitor and assure proper use and conditions of lab equipment.
- Write and present research/study status reports for review and use of the Principal Investigator.
- Prepare results of experimental findings for presentation to colleagues and the sponsor; at professional/technical conferences; and/or, for publication in scientific journals, as directed.
- PhD in Microbiology or related field with prior expertise with working with B. burgdorferi animal models. Candidates from related disciplines with strong immunology background are also encouraged to apply.
- Minimum 0-5+ years' of experience performing related in vitro and in vivo experiments, culturing of bacteria, cellular and molecular research.
- Knowledge in working with spirochetes, and in particular B. burgdorferi
- Knowledge in animal models of B. burgdorferi
- Skilled in Molecular Biology
- Skilled in cell culture techniques
- Skilled in microbiological and immunological techniques.
- Ability to perform vaccine efficacy studies
- Ability to maintain animal colonies.
- Skilled to use scientific methods and rules to solve problems.
- Skilled at operating laboratory instrumentation.
- Skilled to identify complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Ability to maintain attention to detail.
- Basic Knowledge of cell biology, molecular biology, and biology.
- Working knowledge of using laboratory equipment.
- Knowledge of laboratory protocols, and procedures.
- Knowledge of animal organisms, their tissues, cells, functions, environment.
- Knowledge of uses of chemicals and their interactions, danger signs, production techniques, and disposal methods.
- Ability to gather, understand and implement technical protocols.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to perform effectively under conditions of fluctuating workload.
- Ability to work independently to complete assigned projects
Due to the nature of this job, it may or may not require Medical Monitoring
This job has expired.