We are looking for a Phlebotomist (40 hours per week) in our Hackensack location.
Schedule: Mon, Tues & Thus 8:30am - 5am, Wed 8:30am - 7pm, Fri 9am - 3pm
The Phlebotomist provides expertise in blood draws and specimen preparation. Their ability to put patients at ease and obtain sufficient samples with minimal discomfort to patients across a wide demographic is critical to our commitment to high quality care for our patients and those of our partners.
PRINCIPAL JOB DUTIES:
Duties may include but are not necessarily limited to the following:
* Experience doing blood draws, labeling specimens, centrifuging specimens, recording maintenance data and decontamination, updating patient information, etc.
* Collects and stores specimens according to established procedures
* Properly explains in a clear but courteous manner the process of the venipuncture (blood drawing) and or other specimen collection (ex. urine or fecal) as required
* Demonstrate technique/s using straight needles and/or butterfly needles
* Fully understand all of the physicians' orders
* Matches laboratory requisition forms to specimen tubes; label, centrifuge, split, and freeze specimens as required by test order
* Checks all test requisitions or computer label against script to ensure 100% correct
* Package specimens for transport
* Stores specimen sample according to required temperature, places samples in appropriate collection container/ tube, accurately labels, follows different procedures as outlined by specific to protocol deemed necessary for transport to maintain integrity of the specimen.
* Understands and complies with OSHA and DEP regulations
* Wears appropriate attire including all PPE
* Attend annual department trainings
* Answer telephone calls, read laboratory results to satisfy inquiries
* Other duties as assigned
* High School Diploma or GED
* Valid Phlebotomy certification for the state where employed as required by state (CA, NV, WA & LA requires certification)
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
* Minimum of 6 months' work experience performing venipunctures in a fast paced lab or hospital setting
* Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
* Provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
* Excellent patient interaction skills both in person and by phone
* Strong attention to detail and the ability to work independently
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time
* Ability to lift 20 pounds
* Frequent contact with water (hand washing and cleaning), biohazardous body fluids, and hazardous chemicals
BioReference Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer