Primary Job Purpose
The Payroll Accountant II is responsible for performing a variety of general ledger accounting and reconciliation functions as well as standard payroll calculations. Manages the filing of all local, state, and federal payroll taxes using ADP Employment Tax Services. This position requires a demonstrated commitment to attention to detail, quality, and accuracy.
General Functions and Outcomes
- Supports payroll activities across all Cambia locations maintaining a high level of work quality.
- Manages the filing of all local, state, and federal payroll taxes and is responsible for accurate and timely submission of monthly, quarterly and annual state (multiple) and federal payroll taxes
- Reviews department procedures and recommends changes or updates and assists with implementation activities.
- Works with various internal departments to resolve system issues.
- Recommends actions when problems or issues related to Payroll reconciliations are identified.
- Runs reports on PeopleSoft to ensure correct posting of payroll liabilities and expenses.
- Assists in the maintenance and development of desk procedures, policies and procedures. May assist in generating user documentation for processes, policies and procedures in response to business changes and ensures staff are updated on any changes or modifications.
- Ability to respond to all internal/external questions pertaining to employee time cards.
- Monitors and audits TotalPay Card set up and funding.
- Is the Payroll tax subject matter expert for Cambia and is called upon to resolve Payroll related tax issues and provide guidance to leaders to ensure compliance.
- Ability to handle the processing of Leave of Absence and understand the rules and regulations around those leaves.
- Applies leave knowledge and Cambia pay practices to determine appropriate pay for approved leaves.
- Ability to calculate termination payments.
- Solid understanding of garnishment processing both for employees (garnishee) and garnishors. Ensures compliance with state, federal and local guidelines and laws and audits garnishment orders.
- Ability to handle employee inquiries to military, bereavement and jury duty pay. Calculates and audits all related payments.
- Demonstrated ability in exercising judgement and making effective decisions.
Normally to be proficient in the competencies listed above
- Performs a wide variety of accounting functions related to biweekly payroll of the Cambia companies.
- Establishes and maintains a close working relationship with the payroll department and the accounting department to ensure the accounting properly reflects the operations. Responsibilities include ensuring compliance with accounting policies and procedures, as well as resolving accounting related problems, including management fees and payroll.
- Completes monthly reconciliation of General Ledger liability accounts. Includes writing of journal entries to make corrections and work with cost and financial accounting staff.
- Complete account reconciliations on payroll deductions, taxes withheld and paid.
- Completes monthly balancing of payroll dollar interface into the financial system general ledger accounts.
- Completes monthly, quarterly and annual interface and balances to ADP Tax Payment Systems and submits quarter and annual tax files to ADP for Processing.
- Corrects any discrepancies between Lawson and ADP with the help of Payroll Analyst.
- Signs off and obtains Management's signature for ADP Quarter and Annual Files.
- Follows up with ADP on Tax Notices from Taxing Agencies.
- Updates tax rates in both ADP and Lawson.
- Performs regular reviews of operating accounts for various payroll areas.
- Prepares materials for external or internal auditors.
- Prepares bonus calculations for payroll and reclassifications between departments relating to payroll allocation.
- Working knowledge of state, federal and local tax regulations and laws.
- Supports the employee benefits team ensuring that employee deductions are accurate, balanced and reconciled each pay cycle.
- Has knowledge of various employee benefits to include HSA, 401k, life insurance etc and how they impact the employee.
- Completes reporting on highly compensated employees for state insurance reporting.
- Ensures all month-end processes are followed and completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Strong computer skills including spreadsheet development, report generation and presentation development. Strong Microsoft Excel skills and experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills and the ability to communicate and coordinate activities with varying levels of staff, leaders and external vendors.
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion regarding confidential and sensitive matters.
- Conducts bi-weekly audits of payroll processing files and data ensuring employees are paid on an accurate and timely basis.
- Develop monthly metrics for all payroll related functions.
- Working knowledge of Lawson, Oracle, Peoplesoft payroll systems helpful.
- Based on area of expertise, demonstrated application of in-depth accounting and payroll knowledge.
- General knowledge of payroll tax rules and regulations as mandated by State and Federal Government and experience applying that knowledge to current issues or decision making.
- Ensures all year end process are reconciled timely and accurately including W-2s.
- Solid understanding of deferred compensation processes and calculations.
- Ability to understand and utilize data to develop insights and actions that support organizational objectives.
- Work independently with external and internal auditors.
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative ability to analyze data with the ability to identify trends and patterns in data.
Payroll Accountant II would have an Associate degree in Finance, Accounting Business, Human Resources or related field with 5 years Payroll experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. FPC or CPP licenses/certifications.Required Licenses, Certifications, Registration, Etc.
FPC or CPP preferred
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug and tobacco-free workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law. A background check is required.
If you need accommodation for any part of the application process because of a medical condition or disability, please email CambiaCareers@cambiahealth.com