You can make a difference as a part of our region's largest health care system, based locally in Billings, Montana. Join our amazing team with a focus on safe, high quality care and an excellent patient experience. Billings Clinic is here to take care of our community and region.
We look forward to meeting you.
Billings Clinic is a community-owned, not-for-profit, Physician-led health system based in Billings with more than 4,700 employees, including over 550 physicians and non-physician providers. Our integrated organization consists of a multi-specialty group practice and a 304-bed hospital. Learn more about Billings Clinic (our organization, history, mission, leadership and regional locations) and how we are recognized nationally for our exceptional quality.
We provide a comprehensive and competitive benefits package to all full-time employees (minimum of 24 hours/week), including Medical, Dental, Vision, 403(b) Retirement Plan with employer matching, Defined Contribution Pension Plan, Paid Time Off, employee wellness program, and much more. Click here for more information or download the 2021 Employee Benefits Guide.
Magnet: Commitment to Nursing Excellence
Billings Clinic is proud to be recognized for nursing excellence as a Magnet®-designated organization, joining only 97 other organizations worldwide that have achieved this honor four times. The re-designation process happens every four years. Click here to learn more!
Patient Access Specialist
REGISTRATION CLINIC (Billings Clinic West End)
Schedule: M-F 9-6
Employment Status: Full-Time (.75 or greater)
Hours per Pay Period: 1.00 = 80 hours (Non-Exempt)
Starting Wage DOE: CUSTOM.POSTING.WAGE
Patient Access Specialists are instrumental in ensuring the efficient and effective flow of patient access needs as well as initiating the revenue cycle throughout Billings Clinic. Responsible for providing excellence in customer service by greeting, registering and gathering appropriate information for clinical, patient financial services, regulatory and meaningful use. Included are appropriate demographic and insurance information, scheduling appointments, collection of co-payments and self-pay deposits and posting payments into the billing system. Position must fully understand the ramifications and impacts of incomplete or inaccurate information as it relates to clinical staff and the revenue cycle. Essential Job Functions -Supports and models behaviors consistent with Billings Clinic's mission, vision, values, code of business conduct and service expectations. Meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements. Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency standards as it relates to the environment, employee, patient safety or job performance. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities * HIPAA and confidentiality requirements
-Responsible for patients' and guests first impressions of Billings Clinic and clinical departments. Using best practices in customer service by greeting patients, identifying and entering accurate patient specific information to include demographics, guarantor information, subscriber and insurance information. Responsible for initiating the revenue cycle for timely billing and possible insurance follow up.
-Competently and courteously educates patients about various forms that may require their signature.
-Validates insurance(s) using IntelliSource and analyzes electronic responses ensuring appropriate set-ups, which may be dependent upon State where services are to be rendered.
-Coordinates with patients, internal and external providers, nursing staff to ensure Medicaid Passport authorizations are obtained and entered.
-Schedules and coordinates appointments in a manner that meets the patient's needs and each individual provider's scheduling protocols for the various appointment types, lengths of appointments and any pre-appointment requirements. May instruct patients on specific preparations and/or restrictions necessary to prepare for ancillary procedures as defined by clinical protocols.
-Provides in-person marketing for Billings Clinic's patient portal. Explains functionality of the portal and sends electronic invitations to patients for access and establishment of their connection. Should understand that portal sign-up and usage is directly tied to Billings Clinic's ability to receive additional Government funding.
-Initiates collection of copayments and deposits in accordance with each patient's individual insurance or self-pay requirements. Accepts cash, checks and credit cards and payroll deductions. Accepts payments on accounts. Maintains operating cash and collections and balancing to on-line records, daily.
-Posts all payments directly onto patients' accounts within the revenue cycle system. Ensures payment to Billings Clinic for credit and debit card transactions by obtaining electronic authorizations at the time of payment collection.
-May schedule ancillary services. May instruct patients on specific preparations and/or restrictions necessary to prepare for ancillary procedures. May involve other departments as needed for regulatory requirements.
-Reviews and analyzes AccuReg edits and completes corrections in accordance with AccuReg worklists daily.
-Performs other duties as assigned or needed to meet the needs of the department/organization.
* NOPP rights
* Patient's/resident's rights
* Clinic physicians and specialties
* Medical terminology
* Telephone etiquette
* Understands the clinical ramifications of producing duplicate registrations in relation to the Electronic Medical Record EMR
* Basic math skills to balance cash drawers and make change.
* Knowledge of payment posting directly onto patients' accounts via the revenue cycle accounts receivable software
* Understands various insurance payers' rules, guidelines and set-ups for services rendered in Montana and WY and any state where Billings Clinic provides Outreach Services
* Ability to select appropriate encounter types, nurse ambulatories and any other pertinent scheduling and registering fields based on the service being rendered, place of service and state where services will be rendered.
* Ability to select appropriate Registration Conversations based on type of service, payer of services, professional, technical or combined charges and state in which services will be rendered.
* Understands revenue cycle and his/her role in initiating medical record, accurate statement and claim billing information.
* Understands his/her role in ensuring providers' schedules run efficiently and effectively for both provider and patients.
* Fully understands his/her role in attestation requirements for Meaningful Use dollars related to programs such as My Billings Clinic Patient Portal, but not limited to.
* Working knowledge of Medicaid Passport program and authorization requirements.
* Ability to analyze various insurance payers' electronic verification responses for Montana, WY and States where Billings Clinic provides Outreach services
* Ability to read, analyze and make appropriate corrections to registrations using AccuReg registration auditing software and worklists.
* Integrated credit and debit transaction authorization system within Revenue Cycle
* Web-based credit and debit transactions system external to Revenue Cycle
* Ability to learn and operate multiple software packages used in the Access Departments including:
Web based and integrated credit card authorization systems
Outlook and Office 365
PDF - Adobe Acrobat Reader
Other online applications that may be used by Billings Clinic
* Professional communication skills, both verbal and written
* Scheduling appropriate appointments based on provider orders including professional and ancillary services
* Basic typing at 45 WPM
* Basic ten key, preferred
* Analytical skills to solve simple to complex problems including:
* Errors in payment posting
* Scheduling conflicts and communication with providers and patients
* Scheduling errors
* Working with departments and providers to work-in patients who are late for their scheduled appointments
* Ensuring patients who have prepped for tests are worked-in in the event of a scheduling conflict, unforeseen provider issue, etc.
* Resolution of billing issues in relation to attending, referring providers, encounter types and nurse ambulatories
* Organization, prioritization, and time management
* Conflict resolution
* Payment Posting directly onto a patient's account
* Use critical thinking skills and problem solve
* Incorporate population specific needs into all aspects of communication and patient care; scope of services provided will encompass age groups ranging from infant through geriatric
* Communicate clearly and effectively, both verbal and written
* Establish and maintain collaborative relationships
* Operate required office machines
* Concentrate and pay close attention to detail and work independently
* Must be able to handle multiple tasks at one time
* Maintain composure in a position that has considerable deadlines, customer contact, and high volume
* Be flexible to facilitate change
* Make a positive effect on the Patient's Experience.
* Registration errors can result in incorrect identification of the patient resulting in a provider using an erroneous or partial EMR when rendering care, ordering tests or prescribing medications and pharmaceuticals resulting in patient safety and risk management issues.
* Registration errors can result in erroneous guarantor and financial information necessary to facilitate billing and collection procedures, resulting in loss of reimbursement, HIPAA violations and patient satisfaction issues as well as non-value added work to make corrections.
* Payment posting errors can result in patient dissatisfaction, possibly creating patient mistrust and resistance to pay at the time of service. This could also cause improper placement of an account with a collection agency or for bad debt write-off.
* Inappropriate scheduling practices can result in loss of productivity, patient satisfaction issues and extended days in A/R and denial results.
* Position requires highest degree of integrity and confidentiality due to the sensitive nature of information handled; failure to maintain patient confidentiality could result in legal action and patient satisfaction issues.
Patient Access Specialists are instrumental in ensuring the efficient and effective flow of patient access needs as well as initiating the revenue cycle throughout Billings Clinic. Responsible for providing excellence in customer service by greeting, registering and gathering appropriate information for clinical, patient financial services, regulatory and meaningful use. Included are appropriate demographic and insurance information, scheduling appointments, collection of co-payments and self-pay deposits and posting payments into the billing system. Position must fully understand the ramifications and impacts of incomplete or inaccurate information as it relates to clinical staff and the revenue cycle.
Essential Job Functions
-Supports and models behaviors consistent with Billings Clinic's mission, vision, values, code of business conduct and service expectations. Meets all mandatory organizational and departmental requirements. Maintains competency in all organizational, departmental and outside agency standards as it relates to the environment, employee, patient safety or job performance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* HIPAA and confidentiality requirements
Minimum Qualifications Experience
Billings Clinic is Montana's largest health system serving Montana, Wyoming and the western Dakotas. A not-for-profit organization led by a physician CEO, the health system is governed by a board of community members, nurses and physicians. Billings Clinic includes an integrated multi-specialty group practice, tertiary care hospital and trauma center, based in Billings, Montana. Learn more at www.billingsclinic.com/aboutus
Billings Clinic is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity. All policies and processes are designed toward achieving fair and equitable treatment of all employees and job applicants. Employees are encouraged to discuss any concerns they have in this regard with their immediate supervisor and/or the Vice President People Resources. All employees and job applicants will be provided the same treatment in all aspects of the employment relationship, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, genetic information or disability.
Posted 6 minutes ago
Posted 6 minutes ago
Posted 6 minutes ago