Under the direction of theMLA Coordinator, the designated Operations Coordinator, and the SupportServices Manager, Medical Lab Assistants perform a variety of support servicesto the laboratory. Depending on the area in which an individual is assigned forhis/her shift, the responsibilities vary. The job duties are listed below for the workstations that an MLA may beassigned to.
Job Specifics Requirements:
Laboratory Procedures and Protocols
• Maintain established departmentpolicies and procedures, objectives, safety,environmental and infection controlstandards.
• Process a variety of specimens inaccordance to established protocols.
• Data entry into both the hospital andlaboratory information systems.
• Monitor the pneumatic tube system andthe timely processing of all specimens Received through it.
• Process add-on requests from clientoffices and from nursing units.
• Monitor requests for laboratorytesting that have not been processed through the Laboratory information system.
• Ensure that all outstanding ordersare accounted for and that any missingspecimens are found.
• Document the receipt of specimens inthe laboratory information system.
• Print and fax patient reports asrequested.
• Perform quality assurance checks onoutpatient requisitions to ensure the correctness of data entry.
• Sort and file requisitions in theappropriate location according to established protocols.
• Pull all out-patient requisitionsthat require follow-up with the physician offices in the morning.
• Maintain work area in a neat,orderly, and well-stocked fashion.
• Rotate into weekends and holidays asassigned to assure uniform quality of laboratory services.
• Communicate with medical, nursing,and office personnel regarding laboratory results and protocols.
• Provide back up for all areas ofresponsibility for an MLA regardless of the individual assignment.
• Perform other related duties asrequired or as responsibilities dictate.
Personal and Professional Growth
• Demonstrate the role of a medicallaboratory assistant in a professional manner.
• Assume accountability for his/herposition extends self when unusual need arises.
• Report for work on time and giveadequate notice of absenteeism or tardiness.
• Routinely undertakes additional taskswhen his/her assignment is completed.
• Accepts constructive criticismregarding own performance and strives to make improvements.
• Adheres to policies established formeals, breaks, dress code, and parking.
• Exhibits courtesy and respect topatients, families, physicians, clients, and co-workers.
• Maintains competencies through:Regular participation in service education programs.
• Demonstrates understanding of Fire andDisaster Plan, Infection Control, trauma Alert Protocol, and handling ofcritical patients.
• Demonstrates proficient laboratory skills viayearly competencies.
• Motivated and self-directed:
• Carries out responsibilities promptly and in aself-directed fashion.
• Seeks additional learning experiences.
• Contributes to Organizational Goals
• Utilizes concepts of preventivemaintenance and proper use of laboratory equipment.
• Is flexible and receptive to change.
• Participates in quality improvementactivities.
• Demonstrates excellent customerservice skills to promote customer satisfaction
Requires intense attention and concentration. Ability tohandle several processes concurrently. Ability to deal with a wide range of personalities. Basic computerskills which may be obtained thru on the job training.
Preferred; Medical terminology preferred.Accurate typing skills, Hospital or physician office experience helpful.
Preferred: Highschool diploma or GED preferred
Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania
Posted about 6 hours ago
Posted about 1 hour ago
De Pere, Wisconsin
Posted about 1 hour ago
Subscribe to job alerts and add your resume to our resume database for employers!