As a not-for-profit organization, Mass General Brigham is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Mass General Brigham supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Mass General Brigham is committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development-and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Mass General Brigham values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
The Medical Director of Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) leads strategy, policy and measurement for all aspects of hospital clinical documentation improvement across Mass General Brigham. This position is responsible for ensuring the highest quality program outcomes and while providing services in a timely and cost-effective manner.
Reporting to the health system Chief Quality Officer with a secondary reporting line to Finance, the Medical Director for CDI provides enterprise clinical and operational oversight to site-based CDI programs. This role is responsible for setting system-wide CDI priorities and leading the development of system-wide roadmaps, operating models, and enabling technology assets to achieve these priorities. The CDI Medical Director is accountable for overall performance improvements from a quality and financial perspective as well as related reporting and analytics.
Hybrid work environment, on occasion, to travel into MGB sites based on business needs.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Use/s the Mass General Brigham values to govern decisions, actions, and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration
• Strategy and priority setting
- Creates a vision for CDI in alignment with the mission and vision of Mass General Brigham Office of the CMO, CQO and CFO in service of improving clinical care.
- Leads development of a data-driven strategic plan to execute that vision, with measurable outcomes related to high service levels of quality, efficiency, and financial value
- Uses external and internal benchmarking and best practices to set system-wide CDI priorities
- Provides executive clinical and operational leadership and oversight to the CDI organization to carry out its vision and mission, demonstrating measurable performance improvements and trends
• Collaboration with site leaders
- Develops key relationships with site teams and MD leaders to ensure a focus on CDI is incorporated into local workflows and recognized as a foundational piece for high quality care.
- Establishes a communication plan and strategy which continuously interacts with CDI management team and senior MGB and entity leaders. Seeks input and buy-in regarding progress with plans and initiatives in support of the needs of CDI
- Holds local CDI leaders accountable for performance against key performance indicators and overarching quality and revenue cycle goals
- Works closely with CDI and Coding leaders to ensure we optimize use of the system-wide CDI software tools in order to achieve key system goals
• Governance accountability
- Chairs the monthly Enterprise CDI Governance Council, serves as clinical business owner for CDI and provides updates and seeks input as appropriate
- Maintains Aaccountabilityle for CDI policies, training and education development, and subject matter expertise
- Supports the analysis, tracking, trending, and reporting of CDI and/or organizational data and metrics
• Other duties as assignedQualifications Qualifications
Skills, Abilities, Competencies
- Board certified, highly respected physician with privileges to practice at an MGB entity
- Management experience is a plus
- Education requirements: MD
- Reporting relationships will be matrixed between CQO, finance, and site-based roles
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills to support collaboration across Quality and Safety and Revenue Cycle teams
- Quantitative and analytic skills to support strategic decision making
- More than 5-10 years of experience leading large-scale CDI programs
• A high level of clinical proficiency and critical thinking skills necessary for oversight and success of the CDI function
• Strong interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with cross functional teams including staff at all levels of the organization
• Ability to successfully negotiate and collaborate with others of different skill sets, backgrounds and levels within and external to the organization
• Strong problem solving and negotiation skills
• Ability to effectively conduct meetings, both formal and informal
• Requires minimal direction from leadership and possesses the ability to learn quicklyEEO Statement
Mass General Brigham is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
This job has expired.