Job ID: 217701
Location: GREENBELT , MD , US
Date Posted: 2021-05-24
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Mechanical Engr
Shift: Day Job
Minimum Clearance Required: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: None
Potential for Remote Work: No
SAIC is seeking a senior-level Mechanism Engineer on the OMES II contract in support of the OSAM-1 program in NASA’s Exploration and In-Space Services (NExIS) projects division at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. This position is located in Greenbelt, MD.
The OSAM-1 mission is a Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) NExIS managed mission. OSAM-1 is a robotic servicing mission designed to refuel a Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite. It contains 3 elements: the Flight Element comprised of the OSAM-1 Servicing Vehicle (RSV) and development testbeds, the Ground Element comprised of the systems required to conduct RSV operations and the supporting networks and facilities, and the Launch Element comprised of the Launch Vehicle and supporting facilities and services. NExIS is responsible for the design, engineering, development, test and operations of the OSAM-1 Mission through an integrated team at GSFC. The Servicing Payload design, development and RSV integration will be conducted at GSFC.
The engineer will provide senior mechanical engineer support to the OSAM-1 mechanical subsystem including:
- Harness Routing
- Payload Deck Design
- Concept trade studies
- Concept design and detailed design of spaceflight mechanical systems and their components
- Engineering support for fabrication, assembly and testing, including the development of engineering test units and flight units.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors degree and fifteen (15) years or more experience; Masters and twelve (12) years or more experience; PhD and nine (9) years related experience
The candidate shall have a strong technical base in the following areas:
- Fifteen years or more of mechanical engineer experience, i.e. development, manufacture, assembly, and test of space-flight mechanisms
- Ability to work both independently and in a dynamic group environment
- Leadership experience and ability to lead a mechanical engineering team
- Experience with CREO, or equivalent CAD software
- Experience with mechanical harness routing
- Knowledge of NASA mechanical/mechanism design criteria and standard practices preferred
- Firm grasp and understanding of ANSI drafting and tolerance standards required
- Knowledge of materials, treatments, and coatings related to space-flight design and operation of mechanisms
- Understanding of advanced fabrication and manufacturing methods
- Experience with Configuration Management Systems (TDMS, Windchill, equivalent)
- Knowledge of mechanical design as it relates to 1-G mechanism development, testing, and operations
- Demonstrated experience with space robotics, vision systems, end-effectors and tools
- Environmental testing experience (thermal, vibration, shock) as it relates to verification and validation of ground and space-flight hardware
- Ability to create and tolerance individual piece-parts and assembly drawings
- Ability to develop flight operational procedures
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com
or Working at SAIC
for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.
This job has expired.