Manager, Stack Development & Engineering
Nuvera Fuel Cells, LLC is a manufacturer of heavy-duty, zero-emissions hydrogen fuel cell stacks and engines for mobility applications. With facilities located in the U.S. and Europe, Nuvera provides clean, safe, and efficient products designed to meet the rigorous needs of industrial vehicles and other transportation markets.
Nuvera is a subsidiary of Hyster-Yale Group, Inc., which designs, engineers, manufactures, sells, and services a comprehensive line of lift trucks and aftermarket parts marketed globally primarily under the Hyster® and Yale® brand names. Hyster-Yale Group is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hyster-Yale Materials Handling, Inc. (NYSE:HY). Hyster-Yale Materials Handling, Inc. and its subsidiaries, headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, employ approximately 7,600 people worldwide.
We are seeking a Manager, Stack Development & Engineering to join our team. This role coordinates the activities of the personnel within the Stack Development & Engineering Group, whose main focus is to design fuel cell stack products, verify them through analysis and experimentation to meet or exceed the design targets and the customer expectations. Activities include also fuel cell stack sustaining tasks, including diagnosis of issues encountered in the field, as well as continues improvement of stacks currently in production. The role involves growing competencies in the pursuit of functional excellence, allocating personnel across projects, growing the company's intellectual property portfolio, fostering the professional development of staff, and supporting strategic and program planning.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Team Technical Expertise
Demonstrates and ensures staff competencies are growing consistent with company needs, in areas of:
Custodian of Knowhow
- Design next generation of fuel cell stacks necessary to ensure long term success of Nuvera products (engines)
- Definition of analytical and experimental campaigns to acquire the necessary information to influence and verify the design of Nuvera electrochemical products
- Electrochemical engineering and testing to conduct experiments according to safety and quality standards and interpret the tests results to infer the design process.
- Working closely with Technology organization on conceptual stack designs and ideas, and developing them into commercial products
- Implementation of continuous improvement campaigns, aimed at elimination of identified issues and reduction of warranty and service costs
- Cooperation with the Milan team on stack development and improvement ideas
- Knowledge of diagnostic technologies to deepen the understanding of the physical phenomena detected in the testing campaigns.
- Design, selection and deployment of instrumentation and measurement systems to ensure testing provide the engineers valid data with known and acceptable uncertainty.
- Identifies and procures salient references, organizing technical seminars and training, challenging team members, encouraging conference attendance and professional society membership, and committing self to disciplines to act as mentor/instructor.
Development of staff
- Applies and documents fuel cell design, testing and diagnostic methodologies and protocols for specifying stack operating maps and control strategies. This learning is informed by a long history of development projects and is the core of the team's special capabilities of central value to the company.
Promoter of Design Process Adherence and Verification Rigor
- Monitors performance of staff inside the group; solicits input from stakeholders, prepares and conducts performance reviews, and creates professional development goals for staff.
- Supports staff in technical problem-solving, use of tools, and project management, and provides coaching to improve staff effectiveness in the areas of communication skills and leadership.
Required Job Qualifications (unless otherwise noted):
- Defines criteria, based on rational analysis and statistics, to assure the technology and product design/validation process is compliant with the company standards and consistent with the customer expectations.
- Promotes the adoption of a rigorous and organized approach inside the team and foster its application across the company. Applies critical thinking, technical expertise, and overall judgment to improve the quality and value of project work.
- Instructs staff on mechanics of technology and product development processes and explains rationale and importance of key stages and steps.
BS/MS in Mechanical, Chemical, or Electrochemical Engineering
Previous Work Experience
- 10+ years of experience in PEM fuel cell development (design, prototyping, & testing) or electrochemical product development
- Proven experience in leading teams of 5-10 people and promote technical and professional growth of team members
Special Skills, Experience and Abilities
- Electrochemical diagnostic methods (CV, EIS, HFR, etc)
- Fluent in Product Design and Design of Experiments and Root Cause Analysis techniques
- Experience with design and use of instrumentation and measurement systems
- Strong and proactive problem solving and troubleshooting abilities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Ability to work both independently and in team contexts, Comfort with a rapid development pace and ability to multitask, Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
Physical requirements/Work environment
Both office and lab work will be required for the execution of the position's responsibilities
Up to 10% travelNuvera Fuel Cells, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Nuvera participates in e-Verify.Job ID
Full timeWork Hours
40Travel RequiredPrimary Location
Nuvera US Billerica, MAAddress
129 Concord Road Building 1Zip Code
NoRelocation Assistance Available
NoWe are an equal opportunity employer with an excellent benefit package including medical, dental and life insurance, 401(k) and profit sharing.EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled