Job Location: Hershey, PA
The Hershey Company is the leading North American manufacturer of quality chocolate and non-chocolate confectionery and chocolate-related grocery products. The company also is a leader in the gum and mint category. As a leading consumer packaged goods company, our ability to predict and adapt to a complex regulatory environment while executing strategic projects is critical to our continued success.
Reporting to the Senior Manager Automation Manufacturing Solutions, the Lead Engineer of Automation Manufacturing Solutions is a corporate Engineering role that works closely with cross functional leadership teams to set strategic direction for manufacturing automation solutions and tactical plans for the system implementation and delivery of quantifiable business values. The manufacturing automation solution delivery should align with the manufacturing network requirements and the OT Digital strategy. This individual will be responsible for supporting our development and implementation of the automation solutions across Hershey's legacy manufacturing sites and new Agile Fulfillment Center. In addition, the successful candidate must have a high-level of understanding of process control network architecture and security requirements to ensure manufacturing solutions are not compromised. The successful candidate must be able to effectively communicate across all levels of the organization.
- Ability to develop into a subject matter expert while supporting the implementation efforts of our digital strategy. Leadership results are evidenced in the team as shown by members who are motivated, productive, focused, and confident. Practices personal and team accountability as a leadership trait. Grow into a leader with supplier companies, internal customers, and Engineering disciplines. Provides direction to team in area of expertise. Willingness to accept change and to respond at rapid pace to the demands placed by our environment with empathy for all those who are involved.
- Beginner competency in process controls, digital technology, and automation systems up to and including integration with MES platforms. Leverage proficiency and knowledge of complex food industry to support manufacturing automation solutions and tactical plans for systems implementation, while ultimately identifying sound and economical digital solutions.
- Demonstrates ability to apply operational understanding to provide sound solutions. Capable of supporting the strategic plan to establish automation systems as a standard for continuous improvement within the manufacturing network.
- Influences relationships, provides subject matter expertise, establishes credibility, and partners with business & operations professionals for the implementation and commissioning of our automation solutions.
- Identifies opportunities to drive the delivery of our digital strategy automation system's platform, knowledge transfer and value generation. Exhibits developed expertise associated with new technical solutions and effectively evaluates, communicates, and builds consensus enterprise-wide.
Scope/Scope of Responsibility:
- Works with Strategic Systems Engineering partners to define, design, and execute complex manufacturing systems in support of Digitally-Integrated Manufacturing strategy.
- Leverages' engineering knowledge, judgment, creativity, and experience to support the overall Vision and Tactical Plans for our Automation systems platform.
- Provides insight & direction to cross functional teams in the development of sound implementation alternatives (cost estimates, feasibility, specifications, and interpretation of requirements) and recommendations.
- Provides accountability for the development and enforcement of our automation solutions standards and best practices.
- Participates on project teams, and internal/external technical resources to assess opportunities for application of innovative designs, performance improvements, technical advantages, speed to market and capital efficiencies ensuring optimum business value is achieved during capital project activity.
- Develops expertise Operational Technology (OT).
- BS Degree in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology, or other engineering / engineering technology
- Experience: 3-5 years managing manufacturing automation & controls solutions.
- Demonstrated experience in controls & automation, supporting the development and implementation of innovative solutions, collaborating with business partners across functions, and delivering within a change management process.
- Knowledgeable in the implementation of SCADA systems. Specific understanding of Inductive Automation Ignition software is highly desired but not directly required.
- Experience in leading/supporting multiple projects is required.
- Additional preferred experience includes: data historian products such as OSI PI.
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- Demonstrated ability to support the development of digital solutions to deliver business critical outcomes in a practical, effective way.
- Base experience in the implementation of automation solutions and integration with machine control systems and MES platforms.
- Working Knowledge of:
- Control system components and architecture - which includes PLCs, Ethernet, Kepware OPC, Microsoft Networking (TCP/IP), HMI/SCADA systems as well as other state of the art control components and systems.
- Securing systems running ICS-related communications protocols (Ethernet/IP, OPC, MODBUS, Profinet, etc.).
- Industrial Control System Integration using open integration protocols OPC/MQTT
- Working knowledge in the following:
- Servers (Windows and Linux Server Operating Systems
- Virtualization platforms,
- Database Systems design and integration
- Desktop setup and management for HMIs
- Systems data integration and communications techniques
- Industrial control systems architecture.
- Programming Languages & Scripting, Python preferred
- Strong systems troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to prioritize, and understand the required business objectives, develop solutions, control schedules, and drive efficient and expedient project executions.
- Possess the appropriate skills to execute projects and other job-related duties from inception to completion.
- Familiarity or previous exposure to CI Tools and processes such as Lean, Six Sigma, etc is preferred in order to help drive business value and enhance the incumbent's ability to effectively communicate with the plant reliability, process & quality leads.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule in order to achieve job responsibilities.
- The incumbent must possess
- excellent oral and written communication skills.
- innovative and creative problem-solving skills.
- ability and willingness to work in a team environment and work with limited supervision.
- ability, willingness and demonstrated experience in accomplishing project related responsibilities within critical time restraints to meet corporate objectives.
- Ability to apply personal integrity to drive best solution for the department and the company while providing the customer with a strong performing manufacturing system for the manufacture of our confectionary products.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Must be open to and comfortable with leading change.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans
If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact the HR Service Center (firstname.lastname@example.org).