Graduate Assistant- SSS STEM Health Graduate Assistant in Personal Advising - 2022-2023Position Eclass:
GF - Graduate Flat PayPosition Summary:
The term Graduate Assistant is the umbrella term that encompasses all types of GA appointments. Graduate Assistants are employed by the University to teach, conduct research, or assist with administrative duties in departments and non-academic units. Every attempt is made to assign Graduate Assistants to positions that are directly related to the student's field of study or that provide the opportunity to develop transferable, professional skills. Graduate Assistantships are assigned in the department or unit and confirmed by the Graduate School.Additional Details:
The SSS STEM- Health Graduate Assistant (GA) in Personal Advising will work closely with the Assistant Director for Academic Skills and Advising to guide academics, transitioning to UNCG, and graduate school or career planning. The GA will develop programming and activities to help students develop their knowledge and skills in planning for their futures. They will work with SSS STEM- Health students individually and in group sessions to achieve these goals.
- Develop an understanding of and competency to instruct in multiple counseling topics, including graduate school exploration and application, career exploration and preparation, and cultural competency.
- Create and update activities, handouts, and programming related to the above topics.
- Conduct group sessions and workshops on the above topics for SSS STEM- Health students.
- Train Peer Success Coaches (mentors) to lead group sessions.
- Conduct one-on-one counseling sessions to develop skills in Counseling topics.
- Provide interpretation of assessments (NCQ, Self-Directed Search) for students.
- Develop personal, realistic, and achievable Action Plans with students.
- Develop and implement topics and goals for mentoring juniors and seniors.
- Work closely with the Assistant Director to train and manage Peer Success Coaches; provide in-service meetings with student staff.
- Plan and implement visits to graduate programs in NC; assist with visits to UNCG by other TRIO programs.
- Plan and oversee cultural events and trips for SSS STEM- Health students.
- Track student use and progress via a Microsoft Access database (training provided).
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Time Commitment: 20 hours/week during office hours during the 2022-2023 academic year. Specific hours will be determined in cooperation with the Assistant Director and based on department needs.
To be eligible for appointments as a graduate assistant, you must:Additional Minimum Qualifications:
* Maintain academic good standing at all times (3.0).
* Be enrolled full-time, which is generally a minimum of 9 credits.
* Make satisfactory progress toward your degree as defined by your academic program and the Graduate School.
* Meet the requirements to be eligible for employment in the U.S.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Applicant must be a graduate student registered with The Graduate School and enrolled in classes each semester.
- Applicants seeking a graduate degree in Counseling, Human Development, Education, Higher Education, and Social Work are preferred, but other fields related to the position's responsibilities are welcome.
- Applicant must be able to interact with students, student-workers, and professional staff courteously and professionally with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to be flexible in a fast-paced and ever-changing higher education environment
Graduate Assistants are compensated $12,000 for the 2022-2023 academic year, contingent upon federal and state funding allowances for the year. The Division of Student Success does not provide tuition waivers.Number of Months per Year:
Special Support Services - 10912Posting Begin Date:
04/25/2022Open Until Filled:
This job has expired.