A General Laborer is responsible for safely and efficiently performing general labor duties at a hauling company, transfer station, materials recycling facility (MRF) or landfill. Responsibilities may include such things as yard clean-up, fueling vehicles and equipment, general vehicle operation, general office maintenance and other related duties.
• Clean up work areas
• Fuel vehicles and equipment
• Clean tracks on track type and related equipment
• Perform yard work, including mowing and paper pick up
• Operate general site vehicles and equipment, such as water trucks, pickup trucks, sweepers, mowers, trimming equipment, etc.
• Work in accordance with Company and federal, state/provincial and local safety policies & procedures
• Perform general office maintenance and repairs, including painting and janitorial work
• Direct traffic at the site as necessary
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as required or requested by management.
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED) desired, but not required.
• Must be able to meet relevant criteria for safety sensitive functions according to Company standards
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to read, write, perform basic mathematical calculations and communicate with others.
• Ability to follow instructions and perform duties under limited supervision
• Ability to operate any equipment necessary to perform job
• Ability to apply common sense reasoning to solve general problems
• Must be able to stand, walk, bend, reach and lift in an outdoor environment 90% of the time.
• Must be able to use hands and fingers, kneel, crawl, talk, hear, climb and balance.
• Visual Requirements: include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and ability to adjust focus.
• Ability to manually lift/move up to 65 pounds regularly
• Ability to manually push/move up to 100 pounds with assistance from another employee
• Frequently exposed to loud noise, humidity, rainy/stormy, extreme hot and cold weather
conditions (depending upon season), moving mechanical parts, vibrations, toxic and caustic
chemicals, fumes and airborne particles
• Work in outdoor environment up to 100% of the time.
• Works route away from branch location on a continuous basis throughout the day.
• Occasionally work in high precarious places
• Work in motor vehicle traffic conditions constantly.
• Work environment is normally loud
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
GFL Environmental is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities to apply. We seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences. GFL will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Subscribe to job alerts and add your resume to our resume database for employers!