Front-End Drivers operate front-end trucks that provide services to a variety of multi-family residential and commercial routes removing and transporting waste or recyclables in fulfillment of customer contracts. This position will service multiple customers per day according to assigned routes. The waste will then need to be transferred to the appropriate station, landfill or drop-off location.
• Drive commercial frontload or ancillary equipment along designated routes to mechanically collect solid waste and take to post-collection facilities
• Open container enclosures or gates to access cans. As needed, roll 3-4-yard cans on castors into position for dumping
• Perform daily pre- and post-trip inspections; complete and submit a vehicle condition report at the end of the shift
• Courteously interacts with customers and/or the general public along the route to answer questions or respond to requests; Notify supervisor of issues requiring management action
• Clean loose trash off of truck and/or ground around truck and container that spills during dumping process to maintain clean customer site and safety along roads and highways
• Maintains and submits a logbook, daily route/productivity sheet, and vehicle condition report (post-trip inspection sheet) as required by law or company policy
• Maneuver truck into and out of minimum clearance spaces, using mirrors to back up
• Uses a key map and GPS to locate service addresses
• Follows safe operating practices, including lock out/ tag out procedures to ensure proper operation of the truck
• Monitors operations to detect loose debris, using mirrors or direct sight and/or listening for debris falling onto truck during dumping operation; visually scans customer site before and after dumping
• Follow all safety standards, equipment checks and precautions in performance of all duties. Comply with all federal, state/provincial, local and company rules on safety and vehicle operation.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned
• Possess a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
• Minimum of one (1) year commercial truck driving experience OR CDL school certificate
• Must be able to meet relevant criteria for safety sensitive functions according to Company standards
• Must be able to demonstrate the ability to safely drive the truck and operate the equipment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge of the truck and its components and the basic maintenance Requirements: for safe operation
• Ability to control operations of equipment; maneuvering truck into and out of minimum clearance spaces, using mirrors to back distances of approximately 120 feet or more
• Ability to recognize unacceptable waste (such as gasoline or other flammable materials)
• Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external customers
• Ability to read, write, and comprehend associated documents and maps
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Flexibility to accept and adapt to change as well as the commitment to seek continuous improvement
• Ability to exert muscle force to lift, push, pull or carry objects up to 50 pounds repetitively using proper lifting techniques
• Ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example: two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting or standing
• Ability to follow all company safety policies and procedures
• Ability to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, talk, hear, climb, balance, and smell.
• Visual Requirements: include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus due to the constant maneuvering of vehicle in tight and high traffic areas.
• Ability to regularly lift/move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift/move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift/move up to 100 pounds. Occasionally move/push up to 300 pounds.
• Ability to enter and exit truck to open doors to corrals multiple times during a shift
• Ability to climb to top of truck to verify that the load is secured prior to transporting the load to the landfill
• Sitting is required 75% of the time due to the primary function of driving.
• Ability to work in usually loud conditions.
• Frequently exposed to loud noise, humidity, rainy/stormy, extreme hot and cold weather conditions (depending on season), moving mechanical parts, vibration, toxic and caustic chemicals, fumes and airborne particles
• Work in outdoor environment up to 100% of the time.
• Works route away from branch location on a continuous basis throughout the day.
• Occasionally work in high precarious places.
• Work in motor vehicle traffic conditions constantly.
• Work environment is usually loud.
Compensation Range: $65,000 - $80,000 annually
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
GFL Environmental is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities to apply. We seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences. GFL will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Subscribe to job alerts and add your resume to our resume database for employers!