DePauw University is a leading, nationally-recognized liberal arts university dedicated to educating just over 1,600 highly talented, motivated, and diverse students from across the country and around the globe. Connected to the liberal arts college is one of the nation's first Schools of Music. For 185 years, DePauw has created an atmosphere of intellectual challenge and social engagement that prepares students for lifelong success. Located in Greencastle, Indiana, about a 45-minute drive west of Indianapolis, DePauw is a member of the Great Lakes Colleges Association. DePauw has an ongoing commitment to diversity and seeks to strengthen our institution through equitable and inclusive practices. Please see this profile for more information about DePauw University.
DePauw University is a nationally recognized liberal arts university set on a beautiful campus of 695 acres in west central Indiana. DePauw University boasts one of the nation's oldest schools of music and is dedicated to academically challenging and socially engaging students from across the country and around the globe. The Director of Off-Campus Programs works closely with the Executive Director of the Hubbard Center for Student Engagement to promote and advance experiential learning, including but not limited to semester and short term off-campus study. The Director is focused on providing leadership and strategic collaborative efforts across campus, and funding, to support the integration of off-campus and global learning into the campus curriculum and culture. This role engages faculty in the development of global learning models within the DePauw curricular and co-curricular offerings. The individual collaboratively develops and implements university wide structures designed to provide students with equal opportunity to participate in off-campus study programs. Additionally, the role will engage prospective donors and alumni to support the goals and the mission of co-curricular learning at DePauw University, and collaborate with the Director of Career Services to identify goals and programming needs designed to reach across functional areas within the Hubbard Center for Student Engagement. The Director manages a professional staff whose main role is to build pathways to experiential learning opportunities designed to align with the mission of DePauw University. The position will work in collaboration with all university divisions: Academic Life, Enrollment Management and Financial Aid, Administration and Finance, Development and Alumni Engagement, and Student Academic Life. The Director will also engage with external corporate and nonprofit entities.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Assist the Executive Director of the Hubbard Center for Student Engagement in working collaboratively with the faculty, staff, and key stakeholders to identify, achieve, and communicate the strategic goals of the Hubbard Center for Student Engagement, facilitate curriculum integration of experiential learning, focusing on global learning, and articulate the value of a high-performing study abroad program. As well as, enhance, implement, and ensure consistent application of university academic programs, policies, and standards, including risk management of Hubbard Center-sponsored off-campus experiential learning activities.
- Develop, implement, and maintain appropriate operating systems, structures, and processes that will serve to enhance organizational operations.
- Establish program goals and measurable learning outcomes to determine success, and a mechanism to share results with appropriate stakeholders.
- Provide leadership and oversight to a professional staff and allocate financial and personnel resources to achieve results. Determine an appropriate division of labor, based on surveys and established goals.
- Establish and maintain strategic partnerships with various stakeholders and represent the Center and DePauw University to appropriate boards, committees, external institutions, agencies, and organizations.
- Engage with alumni, current and prospective donors to the Center, and Board members to promote the activities and outcomes of the Center and collaborate with Development to cultivate contributions to support the work of the Center.
- Identify potential and sustain current program partnerships best suited to provide enhanced learning opportunities to a diverse group of DePauw students aligned with the mission of the University.
- Oversee campus-wide Hubbard Center for Student Engagement communication strategy.
- Be an external local, national and international presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of the program as a model for replication and leverage relationships to garner new opportunities for students and faculty.
- Serve on appropriate governance committees as determined by the Executive Director of the Hubbard Center for Student Engagement.
- Conduct academic and professional development advising to students of all academic majors.
- Assist faculty in the design and delivery of international and domestic service learning programs such as Winter Term in Service, May Term in Service, and Servicio en las Americas.
- Conduct post program debriefing sessions with Winter/May Term in Service faculty leaders.
- Develop and deliver recruitment, professional development, and reflection training for embedded service learning student leaders associated with Winter & May Term in Service and Servicio en las Americas programs.
- Serve as a Designated School Official (DSO) registered with the Department of Homeland Security, maintain and update international student records in SEVIS, issue new I-20s, process requests for Curricular Practical Training, and recommendations for Optional Practical Training for international alumni. Be knowledgeable about changes to immigration regulations as it pertains to degree-seeking and visiting students on other visas such as F-1 and J-1
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Enumeration of Functions
Leadership: Provide leadership, direction, and resources to accomplish the missions of the Hubbard Center for Student Engagement and semester and short-term off-campus programs. Clearly and accurately interpret and communicate vision and missions to internal and external stakeholders. Identify strategic allies and collaborate with internal partners and external partners. Desired outcomes of these partnerships include the identification, sharing and securing of resources; information; enhanced operations/processes; opportunities for DePauw University, its students and alums. Develop co-curricular and academic programs that support a holistic and developmentally appropriate approach to student development.
External/Internal Relationships: Develop and enrich strategic partnerships -- locally, nationally, internationally -- to meet the critical goals of facilitating co-curricular opportunities for students and alumni. Stay informed of current international education best practices and curricular trends, and communicate information with the DePauw University community and external to move towards establishing Hubbard Center as a thought leader on experiential learning topics.
Management: Manage and oversee the Hubbard Center off-campus study staff, budget, resources, operations, marketing and outreach, technology, new and continuing initiatives, and progress. Oversee and supervise the professional development, activities and goal setting of administrative and professional staff. Strategically plan, budget and advocate for resources, including appropriate staffing and technology. Develop and implement assessment strategies to help inform improvement or changes in service delivery and offerings. Direct strategies for and selection of technological advances to further the mission and operations of the Hubbard Center.
Co-curricular Programming Development: Create a realistic vision of experiential and global learning for the University that proactively addresses experiential learning and leadership development trends. Guide the development programs and experiential learning, to support the broad range of student, faculty, and partner needs.
Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
Adaptability: Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
Ambition, Self-Motivated, Detail Oriented: Demonstrated success in working independently and taking initiative to achieve a desired goal with careful attention to detail.
Analytical Skills - The ability of the individual to gather raw data and to process that data into a meaningful form.
Coaching and Development - Ability to provide guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas.
Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
Confidentiality - Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Conflict Resolution - Ability to effectively deal with others in an antagonistic situation.
Consensus Building - Ability to bring about group solidarity to achieve a goal.
Conceptual Thinking: Ability to help students contextualize their experiences through DePauw in preparation for lifelong success.
Customer Oriented, Empathetic: Commitment to advocate for students and assist them in their planning, execution and reflection of their experiences.
Decision Making - Ability of the individual to select an effective course of action while controlling resources and expenditures.
Diversity Oriented: - Commitment to valuing a variety of different experiences, encouraging input and collaboration from campus stakeholders, including being mindful of experiences related, but not limited to: age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, socio-economic status, LGBTQ, and/or job type.
Honesty and Integrity - Ability to exhibit leadership qualities which demonstrate honesty and integrity.
Interpersonal: Ability to develop positive relationships with multiple constituents including students, faculty, staff, alumni, partners, and foundation representatives.
Judgment - The ability to formulate a sound decision using the available information.
Leadership - Ability to motivate and guide others to ensure performance in accordance with clear expectations and goals. It involves attracting, supporting, developing, and retaining a talented and diverse workforce.
Management Skills - The ability to manage resources to maximize efficiency and effectiveness; recognizes and effectively leverages employees' skills and abilities.
Presentation Skills - Ability to effectively present information publicly.
Strategic Planning - Ability to develop a vision for the future and create a culture in which the long-range goals can be achieved.
Team Builder - Ability to help ensure that team members are invested in team activities and decisions, and that the team works together to achieve a goal.
Education: Bachelor's degree with relevant experience required. Master's degree in higher education administration, international education, or public policy preferred.
- 10 years of progressive leadership experience in higher education, international education, service-learning or community-based work.
- 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the liberal arts and academic integration of experiential learning.
Communication/Language: Ability to read and interpret documents. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of an organization.
Math Ability: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Computer Skills: Experience with databases and spreadsheets; proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher or equivalent; a working knowledge of social media is an asset.
DePauw University is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer: Women, members of underrepresented groups, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
All employees of DePauw University must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or request a religious, medical, or philosophical exemption.
Position will remain open until filled.
Please go to University Profile for more information about DePauw.
This job has expired.