The mission of Johnson Controls Navy Systems (JCNS) is to supply Chilled Water Air Conditioning (A/C) Plants, Refrigeration Systems and associated equipment to the US Navy and Coast Guard. Our robust, high reliability products are designed, manufactured and tested in York, PA to military and other stringent customer specifications. JCNS applies refrigerant compressor technology along with principles of mechanical design, thermodynamics / heat transfer, electromechanical systems and controls to the design, manufacture and test of centrifugal compressors / chillers and their associated components and systems.
The Director of Engineering is responsible for leading a multi-discipline engineering organization involving the design, development and qualification of new products, business development activities that support growth, and sustaining engineering within a fast paced production environment. In this role you will lead teams of engineers focused on solving complex customer and manufacturing problems, launch new products, and improve current products and processes, in order to deliver sustained growth while fostering a culture of teamwork that makes Johnson Controls an employer of choice.
The Director of Engineering is a key business leader and member of the Johnson Controls Navy Systems (JCNS) leadership team reporting to the General Manager, Navy Systems.
- Provide vision that develops and maintains a high-performing organization toward achieving operational excellence.
- Guide organizational transformation to embrace and execute modern systems, methods, and tools; lead continuous improvements in alignment with strategic plan.
- Partner with functional leadership team members and other business area peers to ensure business objectives are achieved.
- Provide strong technical engineering leadership coupled with equally effective project management.
- Project a professional, engaging and courteous demeanor when communicating both within and outside the organization. A leader who fosters teamwork across the organization and can build a top performing team.
- Demonstrates a high level of analytical / problem solving, critical thinking, planning and organizing skills - proficient at setting and achieving priorities; time management.
- Meet financial objectives (indirect expenses and labor utilization).
- Attract and retain high-potential employees to support the business; resolve resource / staffing issues.
- Identify and develop critical skills required to meet business objectives.
- Develop strategies for improving and optimizing organizational performance.
- Develop and maintain measures related to performance, quality and affordability.
- Establish goals and standards of performance, create budgets, staffing plans, and short and long-term strategic product and technology roadmaps / plans.
- Understand industry trends and best practices to ensure Johnson Controls develops and maintains the capabilities required to provide technical discriminators.
Engage frequently and instill confidence with our industry customers including US Navy civilians and officers leveraging your strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
What we look for
A bachelor's degree in engineering with a minimum of 12+ years of engineering / management experience.
- In depth knowledge and experience of heavy machinery and water chilling and refrigeration plant design practices to achieve highly reliable designs within defined cost and schedule constraints is preferred.
- An understanding of thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid mechanics and pressure vessel design best practices is preferred; experience with control system design and centrifugal compressor design is a plus.
- Proven track record of increasing responsibilities in managing engineering organizations of significant complexities, including managing development projects throughout all aspects of the product life-cycle from requirements through production and sustainment.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- The ability to inspire a team of engineers and designers to be productive and successful in a fast-paced working environment with multiple conflicting priorities is key to the success of the business. This is a working manager role and requires leading and mentoring the team to address complex and challenging technical issues.
- Thorough knowledge of DoD procurement and product development.
- Experience in working with military specifications (MIL-SPECs), ASTM/ASME specifications and detailed customer specifications is required. Knowledge of MIL-SPEC requirements for shock testing, vibration testing and electromagnetic interference testing is a plus.
- Excellent communication (written & oral), interpersonal and presentation skills, along with strong analytical and project management skills - data driven and results oriented.
- Active DoD Confidential or Secret clearance preferred.
Who we are
The primary mission of Johnson Controls Navy Systems is to supply Chilled Water Air Conditioning Plants, Refrigeration Systems and associated equipment to the US Navy and US Coast Guard. Johnson Controls Navy Systems is a part of the Johnson Controls Federal Systems business. Our robust, high reliability products are designed, manufactured and tested in York, PA to military and other stringent customer specifications. Most of our designs are custom engineered for the specific application Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com/tomorrowneedsyou. Division: JCFS (Johnson Controls Federal Systems)