Director, Campus Rec
Location: Campus Recreation Services
Job ID: 606346
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of excellence.
The Director of Campus Recreation reports to the Associate Vice President for Campus Health & Wellness within the division of Student Affairs and serves as the chief administrator for delivering inclusive programs, services and facilities in support of a premier residential campus experience. The position is responsible for the overall vision, strategic planning, assessment, and operation of a comprehensive recreational experience. Facilities include the Campus Recreation Center and indoor climbing wall, Field Complex with Ramada and lighted turf fields, natural grass fields, sand volleyball courts, challenge course and disc golf course. Programs include intramural sports and club sports programs, group exercise, personal training, and instructional programming, outdoor adventure, educational courses and gear co-op program, informal recreation and special events. Campus Recreation is an ally and partner with Health Promotions, Campus Health, Multicultural Student Services, Greek and Sorority Life, Residence Life, LEAP program, Employee Assistance Wellness, Academics and Athletics. The Director is responsible for the fiscal functions of the department, to include long-term forecasting for equipment updates, maintenance, and expansion to support recreation and wellbeing of the NAU campus.
Leadership and Strategic Planning - 25%
- Cultivate a learning environment and develop a dynamic action-oriented team of career and student staff, through vision, communication, goal setting, and being an invested stakeholder.
- Direct the development of a shared vision and mission for Recreation Services with all segments of the community.
Program Oversight - 20%
- Guide and supervise the development, implementation and evaluation of all programs, policies, procedures, and operations.
- Forecasts, measures and adjusts operational strategy in consideration of trends, facility and program usage.
- Coordinates with university community to utilize center for revenue generation and facility schedule optimization.
- Using the Live Well framework to promote active lifestyles and wellbeing through programs and services.
Budgetary, Reporting, Policies and Procedures - 20%
- Develops and manages a large, complex budget to include program quality and growth, ongoing maintenance, equipment replacement, and long-term development of programs and resources. Reviews and approves all purchasing and departmental expenses.
- Collects, analyzes and reports on data relevant to facility and program use, student/staff feedback and department and campus wellness goals.
- Directs ongoing review and development of risk management plans, emergency response plans, operational manual and rules for fitness center usage based on industry standards.
Supervision - 15%
- Assist in the development and implementation of staff training manuals, best practices, policy/procedure, and equipment manuals.
University-wide Collaboration - 15%
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with other NAU offices to ensure accurate and timely responses to projects.
- Serves as liaison between Campus Recreation and Academic Units, Student Affairs, Athletics and key university partners.
Other - 5%
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master's Degree in Recreation, Sports Management, Health Promotions, Physical Education, Business Management, or related field.
- 5-7 years of relevant experience.
- 3-5 years of management experience.
- Any combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- NIRSA - CRSS certificate. School of Recreation Sports Management completion.
- CPR and First Aid certification and an instructor's certification preferred.
- Experience managing a large complex budget.
- Documented success as an innovator and creative problem solver.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of industry trends in general campus operations in higher education.
- Conflict resolution and customer service skills.
- Planning, organizing, directing, and facilitating skills.
- Record keeping skills.
- Project management skills.
- People management skills.
- Skill in program development and execution.
- Proficient Leadership, Organization and Public Relations skills.
- Excellent supervisory, organizational, and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Balances competing priorities.
- Demonstrates strong problem solving, organizational, and analytical capabilities.
- Analyzes complex situations and anticipates issues.
- Coordinates team members and allocates tasks.
- Communicates effectively.
- Ability to create and maintain a positive, safe working and learning environment.
- Promotes a diverse, inclusive environment.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting. If you are applying for a job that requires a CDL, you will be required to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse and adhere to the clearinghouse requirements. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Anticipated salary range is $95,809 - $119,761. Annual salary commensurate with candidate's qualifications and related experience.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available on the Human Resources benefits website
. NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus. Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service
. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits
on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of employment.
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training
includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days. If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
June 27, 2022 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website
or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=606346&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.