At Trane Technologies® we Challenge Possible. Our brands - including Trane® and Thermo King® - create access to cooling and comfort in buildings and homes, transport and protect food and perishables, connect customers to elevated performance with less environmental impact, dramatically reduce energy demands and carbon emissions, and innovate with a better world in mind. We boldly challenge what's possible for a sustainable world.
This Design Team Leader is responsible for all aspects of the design team including design creation, change management during development, design for manufacturability, product cost, performance, quality, reliability, delivery of design deliverables to schedule, etc. In addition, the Design Team Leader creates and maintains the development schedule, plans and manages the workload of the design team and defines and approves work content that may be assigned to other functional resource groups such as the Trane Technologies Engineering Technology Centers and Networks of Excellence.
This position can be remote-based in Minneapolis, MN; Madison, WI; Milwaukee, WI or Chicago, IL
Core Job Responsibilities (others may be added):
- Responsible for all engineering activities of the project design team.
- Defining, planning and approving the work activities of the design team. This includes defining and approving work content that may be assigned to other functional resource groups such as Trane Technologies Engineering Technology Centers and Networks of Excellence.
- Function as the Lead Engineer for the product by acting to ensure due diligence is applied throughout the design process through coaching, mentoring and oversight of the design team. An example of due diligence in design would be making sure meaningful design reviews are conducted which include outside SMEs rather than just internal team members.
- Management and approval of changes to the design throughout the design process from concept generation through release of all design deliverables.
- Following accepted design and review practices including DFMEA, DVPR, design reviews utilizing subject matter experts, and others as specified in Trane Technologies' Product Development process.
- Ensure the design meets Design for Manufacturing requirements.
- Ensure the design is capable of meeting agreed-to reliability and quality requirements and performance requirements.
- Generating cost targets and estimates for the design, and for ensuring the design meets the agreed-to cost goals.
- Creation and delivery of all required design deliverables.
- Planning and maintaining the development schedule and for delivering design deliverables according to the schedule.
- 10-15% travel (including international) will be required.
- This position may include future supervisory responsibilities for the right candidate.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (or technical discipline) and at least 7 years of experience in product development is required.
- Master's Degree is preferred.
- PMI certification or project management experience is preferred.
- Supervisory or Managerial experience is preferred.
- Must be an effective team leader with the ability to work with cross-functional or global groups.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Experience using project management software such as Microsoft Project is desired.
- Strong design and analytical skills and experience, with "hands-on" experience.
- Experience with HVAC equipment is beneficial.
- Design for Six Sigma Green or Black Belt Certification is a plus.
We offer competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits and programs that help our employees thrive in both their professional and personal lives. We are proud of our winning culture which is inclusive and respectful at its core. We share passion for serving customers, caring for others, and boldly challenging what's possible for a sustainable world.
We are committed to achieving workforce diversity reflective of our communities. We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, pregnancy, age, marital status, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any legally protected status.