Coordinator of Residential Life Tracking Code871-280Job Description
Being a Residential Life Coordinator at Stetson University means that you are driven to create and lead a vibrant residential community where learning and values meet through engaged learning and meaningful diverse relationships. You are an engaging, inclusive, and creatively driven individual who strives to actively provide experiences that foster the development of students as they rise to reach their full potential and authentic selves. You also are a professional who has proven capability to balance multiple priorities including supervision, community development, individualized student support, facility management, and operational functions in an effort to support the development of transformative residential environments reflective of our Residential Living and Learning mission. You value working in a campus environment that dares its students to go beyond success - to significance as a live on professional staff member.
Residential Education utilizes a residential curricular approach to enrich student learning and foster inclusive and engaging communities. Through this framework, a defined set of learning goals and outcomes guide our team to stay focused on the established Educational Priority: As a result of living on campus, Residential students will develop their personal growth, independence, social responsibility, and sense of belonging.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide leadership to a designated area of residence halls or apartment-style buildings of approximately 300-600 students, including implementing effective management and administrative strategies in the day-today operation of the residence halls
- Directly supervise, train, and evaluate approximately 14-21 student staff members (Resident Assistants) and a Lead RA
- Provide ongoing professional development and coaching to student staff through biweekly 1:1s and weekly staff meetings
- Lead and aid in implementation of departmental initiatives including, but not limited to, facilitation of staff recruitment, training, residential curriculum, social justice initiatives, housing operations, and technology
- Own, maintain, and serve as a fiscally responsible budget manager
- Compiles information and maintains records for monthly area reporting
- Support Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) initiatives in the residential community
- Administer an August overnight training/professional development experience
- This position requires significant weekend, evening, and early morning time commitments
Student Care Management and Conduct
- Utilize intentional interactions, student success management system, incident reports to identify students at risk and provide intentional outreach
- Intervene and identify factors that enhance student retention within residential area interpreting analytics to guide and empower students by promoting thriving, embeddedness, and engagement
- Assess initial strengths and challenges in students' academic, well-being, and/or personal pathways through engagement in developmental conversations and referrals to other agencies as appropriate to guide student in navigating challeng.
- Serve as a primary judicial hearing officer for the university and case manager for residential area conduct
- Develop sanctioning that promotes positive interactions and decisions which affirm individual responsibility and demonstrate respect for others, personal boundaries, and university property
- Work in partnership with the Dean of Students Office to provide insight, direct student care and critical updates on students assigned to or referred to HattersCare, the university's behavioral intervention team
- Communicate with HattersCare student load systematically, frequently, and intentionally through multiple methods, including but not limited to face-to-face meetings, college-supported technology solutions, e-mail, telephone, text messages, and social media
- Link student development theory and practice in interpersonal connections with students, parents, colleagues, and other constituencies
- Support the ongoing development and facilitation of our residential curriculum model to advance the university mission and lead area staff accountability to address the needs of the specific area student population
- Responsible for proactively maintaining a visible presence in the residential area and engaging in positive, professional interactions with students after business hours to promote residential engagement and building affinity
- Work closely with assigned residential learning programs and a team of identified partners in developing a comprehensive program that complements the general education requirements (GEOs) and university values
- Utilize departmental assessment (EBI, residential feedback surveys) in addition to support the design of strategies that guide and direct student learning, success of the department initiatives, as well as residential satisfaction
- Responsible for completion of the monthly and annual reporting mechanisms
- Advise 1- 2 departmental committees on a yearly rotational basis while supporting all committee work and other initiatives as assigned
- Aid in departmental initiatives in sustainability and assessment
- Support the management of occupancy through housing software, Residence by Symplicity
- Assist in aspects of building operation administration such as facilitation of health and safety inspections, fire drills, occupancy verifications, community space reservations, damage assessment and billing, safety, and education
- Foster healthy communication during roommate conflicts through staff guided roommate mediations and if necessary, room changes within supervising area
- Perform monthly building inspections and report back assessment of the physical condition/appearance of supervising residential area to appropriate partners
- Manage all residential area follow up including but not limited to work orders, laundry issues, security, and safety concerns. Maintain and ensure documentation of pertinent interactions with residents for area
- Develop positive working relationships with facilities and custodial personnel to facilitate overall functioning of residential area
- Manage and provide follow up and aftercare on documentations and referrals from incidents involving direct residential area students utilizing Maxient software
- Serve 3 - 4 weeks per semester in on call emergency response rotation for Campus Life and Student Success to ensure the safety and well-being of residential and commuter students. This essential job function requires the ability to climb stairs and provide in person support for incidents.
- Designated as essential personnel for the purposes of emergency management.
- Maintain liaison relationships with a variety of offices and academic departments
- Assume leadership for summer specific assignments and projects related to Residential Living and Learning. Summer specific projects and assignments will be identified in early spring
- Support events through attendance and volunteering for a variety of offices and academic departments
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education: Master's degree
The successful candidate will have:
Experience utilizing technology
Advising within a residence life or student affairs program
Demonstrated ability to train, supervise and evaluate undergraduate student staff, teach job skills, and advise students; and mediation, intervention, problem solving, decision making, and emergency response.
As a live on professional, the incumbent will be required to live in an on-campus apartment within a residence hall or student apartment complex.
- Master's degree in student personnel, higher education, or related field preferred
- Previous residence life/housing/student affairs experience
- Demonstrated experience in initiative, collaboration, and the ability to bring innovation to improve workflow, internal processes, and projects within the office and with other departments on campus
Salary Grade: 5
Completed COVID-19 Vaccine status required
Job LocationDeLand, Florida, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular
This job has expired.