Clinical & Research Support Vet Tech
Johns Hopkins University Research Animal Resources has a position available for a Clinical & Research Support Vet Tech (Animal Research Technician). The successful applicant will primarily provide clinical and post-operative care and other research support for pigs, dogs, cats, rabbits, nonhuman primates and other species. They will also provide technical and anesthetic support for veterinarians during clinical surgeries and case management.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
Clinical Care & Health Maintenance:
- Administer medications for treatment via multiple routes including oral and injectable.
- Perform routine sedation and monitoring for diagnostic work-up, sample collection, and clinical care.
- Provide technical support for faculty and resident veterinarians during clinical and surgical care, including anesthesia and monitoring.
- Obtain diagnostic samples from all species including blood, urine, and feces.
- Perform health maintenance for dogs, cats, pigs and rabbits, including but not limited to hoof and nail trims and collecting routine weights.
- Assist investigators in various research protocols, including treatments, sample collection, and routine sedation.
- Perform post-operative monitoring, palliative care, and documentation for research procedures ranging from routine sedations to major operative procedures.
- Understand the procedures, humane endpoints, and experimental goals of large animal research protocols and ensure compliance with those protocols and applicable regulations and policies.
- Teach investigators, veterinary residents, and technical staff to perform various technical procedures.
- Train personnel in routine clinical care, daily maintenance of animals under medical treatment, maintenance and monitoring animals during all phases of anesthesia, including proper dosage and proper route of anesthesia for a variety of species.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Maintain clinical animal records (paper and electronic).
- Complete monitoring forms and any project-specific documentation required for post-procedural care or other research support
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology or related field required.
* Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Certified veterinary technician strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of current regulations, policies and principles for the care and use of laboratory animals.
- Ability to handle, restrain and determine the sex of laboratory animals without causing injury or harm to animal, self, and others.
- Ability to understand and follow detailed oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and write in order to maintain records, read instructions, labels, etc.
- Ability to interact and work with faculty, students, staff, and visitors in a knowledgeable, respectful and courteous manner.
- Ability to discuss animal related projects with investigators and report these discussions to the supervisor.
- Ability to work under environmental conditions that require the use of safety equipment.
- Ability to lift, carry or otherwise move and position objects and materials weighing up to 50 lbs.
Classified Title: Animal Research Technician
Working Title: Clinical & Research Support Vet Tech
Starting Salary Range: $15.00 - $20.00/hr (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: 40 hours, M-F
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM Admin Research Animal Resources
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Clinical-&-Research-Support-Vet-Tech-MD-21205/890524000/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.