Up to $5,000 signing bonus available.. 1 year work commitment required.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to maintaining the sterile field, anticipating the needs of the surgical team and being constantly vigilant to adherence of aseptic technique by all team members under the supervision of a Registered Nurse.
- Demonstrates basic surgical case preparation by organizing and prioritizing patient care preparation in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team under the direction of the circulating nurse.
- Instrumentation, suture, pharmacology, supplies and equipment necessary for the procedure are reviewed from the doctor's preference card. Instrumentation, supplies and equipment changes are initiated using information from the circulating nurse's patient assessment. Case cart contents are justified with the pick list prior to opening. Sterility of instruments and supplies is checked and assured prior to opening. Additional instrumentation, supplies and equipment.
- Differentiates between sterile and unsterile items processed by various sterilization methods.
- A working knowledge of sterilization methods is consistently demonstrated. Contaminated sterile items are recognized and disposed of according to policy. Parameters for recognizing items as sterile (tape color change, indicator color change, arrow and filter placement, load sticker change, etc.) are consistently met. Documentation for flash autoclaving (used on an emergency basis only) is provided consistently.
- Demonstrates principles of aseptic technique and sterile conscience.
- Scrub, gown, glove self and others using sterile technique is demonstrated at all times when scrubbing, gowning and gloving self and others. Back table and mayo stand are set up in accordance with OR table set up protocol using aseptic technique. Contamination in self and others is recognized and rectified immediately. Instrumentation is kept free from bioburden at all times. Movement around field is always in accordance with recognized aseptic technique practices. Standard precautions are used at all times. Students (nursing, surgical technologist, medical, etc.) are coached in proper aseptic technique as needed.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of surgical procedures.
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology pertinent to patient procedures is demonstrated. Knowledge of instrumentation, suture, and/or specialty supplies per procedure/service is demonstrated on a consistent basis. Anticipation of surgeon's needs is demonstrated on a regular basis. Oversight that instruments are used for their intended purposes is provided on a consistent basis. Specimens are consistently handled in accordance with OR policy and procedure and infection control practices. Post procedure, back table is torn down in accordance to OR policy and procedure.
- Demonstrates awareness of environmental safety practices for patient, self and team at all times.
- Sponge, sharp, instrument and other counts are initiated at the proper times per policy and procedure. Instruments and supplies are tested prior to use on the patient consistently. Sharps are handled and disposed of safely per policy and procedure. Medications and medication solutions are verified with circulator and labeled accordingly. Electrosurgical return electrode is holstered when not in use to prevent fire. Equipment is checked for proper working order and removed from service according to OR policy and procedure.
- Supports operating room procedures.
- Time and attendance procedures are consistently followed. Proper identification of patients, medications and patient specimens is consistently demonstrated before any intervention. Patient and personnel safety procedures are adhered to (infection control, fire safety, electric and chemical hazards identified, etc.). System issues are brought to management's attention in a timely manner. Interdisciplinary team participation is evident in all areas of practice. Changes in patient condition/procedure are communicated immediately.
- Interfaces effectively with peers and customers and assumes responsibility for professional development of self and others per departmental policy.
- Strengths and opportunities for professional development are identified and goals for self-improvement are set and documented. A positive environment conducive to development of others is demonstrated on an ongoing basis including but not limited to perception, teaching, orienting, role modeling, and team participation. Annual mandatory training activities are completed within established time frames.
- Demonstrates leadership in the delivery of technical patient care.
- Active participant in accomplishing the goals of the OR. Recognition and support of peers is provided on a routine basis. Time management and organization skills are demonstrated /role modeled on a routine basis.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
Position Compensation Range: $19.49 - $30.21 Hourly
Education: High School graduate or Equivalent and must have graduated from an accredited Surgical Technologist Training Program.
Experience: No experience required
Licensure: American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider BLS certification required.
Job requires standing for prolonged periods, frequently bending/stooping, reaching (overhead, extensive, and repetitive); Repetitive motion: computer keyboard. Proficient communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail and ability to write legibly; Ability to lift/push/pull 50 - 100lbs. May be exposed to noise, radiation, radioactive materials, blood/body fluids and infectious disease.
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines webpage prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician's Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
This job has expired.