Associate Dean for Curriculum and Student Affairs
Location: College of Social & Behavioral
Job ID: 606344
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
NAU is a community devoted to student success and sustained by an unshakable commitment to our shared mission, vision, and values. We—faculty, staff, and administrators—thrive by combining our efforts and working side by side to further NAU's culture of excellence.
The Associate Dean in the College of Social & Behavioral Sciences works closely with the dean, associate dean of personnel and graduate programs, the assistant dean of student success, lead administrative staff, and college unit chairs/directors to provide leadership for curricular and student affairs processes. The position is a full-time 11-12 month appointment, with 60% administrative effort during the academic year; subject to negotiation.
The Associate Dean for Curriculum and Student Affairs is tasked with the following areas/activities:
Curriculum and Assessment
- Leadership and facilitation of college curriculum development
- Chair SBS curriculum committee; set agendas; manage feedback to units regarding recommended curriculum changes; mentor/tutor faculty on curricular processes; consult with Chairs & Directors for curricular proposals and processes
- Point person for SBS related to General Studies program changes
- Coursedog scheduling oversight
- AY course scheduling oversight/backup/trouble-shooting (liaison with Registrar's office)
- Monitor college AY waitlists, enrollment, LS/GS capacity
- Provide ERS information to Chairs and Directors as needed; analyze ERS information as appropriate
- Administrative liaison for SBS Curriculum Committee and the Office of Curriculum, Learning Design and Academic Assessment
- Oversight of student related policies
- Grade appeal process
- Student petitions, complaints and other issues
- Enter all petitions into college spreadsheet record because no access to administrative help
- Maintain electronic method of managing all records
- Student institutional excuses
- Point person for student travel information (consult with chairs, faculty, as needed)
- Student communication and engagement
- Work with Assistant Dean of Student Success for presentations to existing and incoming students (DNAU, Honors, etc)
- Consult with all SBS advisors regarding all concerns with advising at the college level, as well as unit level when appropriate (point person for all questions from advising when they do not have a procedure in place)
- Point person for college-level questions related to Gateway advising or other university-level advising concerns
- Point person for military student inquiry/situations
- Represent SBS on ACADA (associate dean's group)
- Serve as representative or delegate/back-up for dean
- Member of dean's leadership team
- Participate in college budget planning
- SBS Rep on University Compliance committee/responsibilities
- Attend, contribute to regular Marketing meetings
- Assist/coordinate with Enrollment Management outreach to non-enrolled students
- Point person for Registrar's office regarding grade submission, incomplete audits, missing grades, mid-semester grade submission, etc.
- Manage/consult on ATF membership/attendance as needed; annual approval of membership for each unit in SBS
- College liaison to Committee on Academic Computing
- Current NAU faculty
- Appointment at a promoted rank (Associate Teaching Professor, Teaching Professor, Associate Professor of Practice, Professor of Practice, Associate Clinical Professor, Clinical Professor, Associate Professor, Professor)
- Ability to work on site on the Flagstaff Mountain Campus
- Previous administrative experience
- Demonstrated commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion
- Ability to work across disciplinary boundaries and in a culturally diverse environment
- Appointment at a promoted rank in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Experience with curriculum development
- Experience with Liberal Studies/General Studies
- Experience working with issues surrounding student affairs
- Knowledge of CourseDog and how it is employed at NAU
Northern Arizona University is a 29,569-student institution with its main campus in Flagstaff, a four-season community of about 70,000 at the base of the majestic San Francisco Peaks. NAU's emphasis on undergraduate education is enhanced by its graduate programs and research as well as distance learning. All faculty members are expected to promote student learning and help students achieve academic outcomes.
The university is committed to a diverse and civil working and learning environment.
For information about diversity, access, and equity at NAU, see the Center for University Access and Inclusion webpage
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
As of 12/10/21, the Safer Federal Workforce employee vaccination requirement is currently suspended pending the outcome of a federal court-issued injunction. This injunction has suspended the recent executive order issued by President Biden requiring all employees of federal contractors to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. For current status of the vaccine requirement and/or questions, please visit FAQs for Employee Vaccination Requirement
Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, an employment history verification and a degree verification (in some cases) prior to employment. You may also be required to complete a fingerprint background check. Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States. Finally, each year Northern Arizona University releases an Annual Security Report
. The report is a result of a federal law known as the Clery Act. The report includes Clery reportable crime statistics for the three most recent completed calendar years and discloses procedures, practices and programs NAU uses to keep students and employees safe including how to report crimes or other emergencies occurring on campus. In addition, the Fire Safety Report
is combined with the Annual Security Report for the NAU Flagstaff Mountain Campus as this campus has on-campus student housing. This report discloses fire safety policies and procedures related to on-campus student housing and statistics for fires that occurred in those facilities. If you would like a free paper copy of the report, please contact the NAUPD Records Department at (928) 523-8884 or by visiting the department at 525 E. Pine Knoll Drive in Flagstaff.
Commensurate with experience.
This is an Administrative Faculty (ADF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) or the Optional Retirement Program (ORP); 22 days of vacation, sick leave accruals, and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified family members. More information on benefits at NAU is available at the NAU HR benefits page
. Administrative Faculty are hired on a contract basis, renewable annually according to the terms of offer. Upon completion of the administrative assignment, employees will return to the faculty role, renewable according to the Conditions of Faculty Service
. Academic year (9 month) faculty do not accrue vacation. Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). Employees will have 31 days from date of hire to enroll in benefits, and their benefits will then be effective the first day of the pay period following their completed enrollment. If a new employee chooses the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) retirement option, participation in the ASRS Plan (and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it) will begin on the first of the pay period following 183 days of employment. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP; an alternative to the ASRS plan) will begin to participate on the first day of employment. The long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of the pay period following 90 days of employment. More information about NAU benefits is available at the NAU HR benefits page
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
NAU will not provide any U.S. immigration support or sponsorship for this position.
This vacancy will be open until filled or closed. Review of CVs will begin on June 6, 2022.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button at the end of the job description if viewing this position through the NAU HR website. Otherwise, to view the original post and to apply, proceed to nau.jobs
, follow the 'Faculty and Administrator Openings' link, locate vacancy 606344
, and then "Apply" at the bottom of the page.
Application must include: Applicants should submit a current CV and letter of interest addressing qualifications relevant to the position. CV Screening will begin on July 6. If you have questions, please address them to Lori Poloni-Staudinger at Lori.Poloni-Staudinger@nau.edu
. Save all items as PDF and/or Word documents.
If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the HR website
or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.To apply, visit https://hr.peoplesoft.nau.edu/psp/ph92prta/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=2&JobOpeningId=606344&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.