Assistant Manager and Undergraduate Program Coordinator
Location: Santa Cruz
Job ID: 35908
UC Vaccination Policy: With limited exceptions, COVID-19 vaccinations are required for Covered Individuals under the Policy. Covered Individuals include all employees, students, or trainees who physically access a University facility or program in connection with their employment, appointment, or education/training.
Covered Individuals do NOT include employees who work 100% remotely with NO expectation that they will physically access any University location or program at ANY time. If 100% remote work ends, the employee is subject to policy.
INITIAL REVIEW DATE (IRD)
UC Santa Cruz staff jobs are posted until filled. Application materials submitted by 11:59 pm on the IRD will be routed to the hiring unit for consideration. NOTE: Materials submitted after the IRD will be forwarded only at the request of the hiring unit. Submit your materials before the IRD to ensure consideration by the hiring unit.
The IRD for this job is: 06-15-2022
ABOUT UC SANTA CRUZ
UC Santa Cruz is a public university like no other in California, combining the experience of a small, liberal arts college with the depth and rigor of a major research university. It's known as an unconventional place where innovation and experimentation is part of the campus's DNA. That playful, bold spirit still thrives today, all on a campus renowned as among the most beautiful in the world.
Launched in 2014 as an undergraduate program, CRES reached departmental status in 2021. CRES is an interdisciplinary field which offers a study of the dynamic power relations resulting from the cultural and institutional productions of the idea of “race” on a local, national, and global scale. At the undergraduate level, the department offers a Bachelor of Arts degree in CRES, a minor in Black Studies, and a 4+1 Masters and credential pathway with Education. The department offers a Designated Emphasis (DE) at the graduate level, with over 40 students pursuing the DE. CRES is the fastest-growing major within the Humanities and currently serves over 150 students. Faculty from across the campus have contributed signficiantly to conversations in critical race and ethnic studies for decades, with nationally renowned faculty from Anthropology; Feminist Studies; History; Literature; Performance, Play, and Design; and Sociology participating as core faculty. In addition to these departments, faculty from Education, Film and Digital Media, History of Art and Visual Culture, History of Consciousness, Latin American and Latino Studies, Linguistics, Music, Politics, and Psychology also contribute to the curriculum.
The CRES Department is the site of dynamic research initiatives. CRES houses the Critical Ethnic Studies Journal, the flagship journal in the field. CRES also administers the Center for Racial Justice (CRJ), which was established in 2019 and serves as a vital hub for dialogue and research on race and racial justice. The CRJ offers events and conferences (including a Summer Institute), political education, and funding opportunities for students invested in racial justice.
More information can be found here:
Under the general direction of the Critical Race and Ethnic Studies (CRES) Department Manager, the Assistant Manager and Undergraduate Program Coordinator, uses skills as a seasoned, experienced student services professional to provide the full range of student services for the CRES Department. Independently advises students and resolves student services-related issues on the full range of academic issues inherent within the organization. Advises colleagues and faculty on a variety of student issues. Works with the department's leadership to recommend changes to policies, practices, and procedures. Guidance on issues requiring in-depth knowledge of specialized programs is provided by offices specializing in those fields, e.g., the financial aid office, graduate division, or student learning center, OR by the Department Manager,chair, and faculty of the department. Administer funds for student programs and coordinates academic human resources related to the curriculum and program.
Salary Information: Salary Range: $55,000.00 - $70,000.00 / Annually. Salary commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
No. of Positions: 1
Benefits Level Eligibility: Full benefits
- Full-time, Fixed
- Percentage of Time: 100%, 40 Hours per Week
- Days of the Week: Mon-Fri
- Shift Includes: Day
Employee Classification: This is a Career appointment
Job End Date: None
Work Location: UC Santa Cruz Main Campus
Union Representation: Non-Represented
Job Code Classification: 004575 (STDT SVC ADVISOR 3)
Travel: Never or Rarely
JOB DUTIES40% - Academic Advising
25% - Curriculum Planning
- Applying professional student services concepts, provides the full range of student services to student population served by the organization.
- Advises faculty on departmental and university policies and procedures; reviews students' progress and advises students and faculty on requirements for degree / program completion; identifies students with progression problems and recommends interventions; devises curriculum planning in collaboration with chair and faculty, and with other departments.
- Plans, designs, and provides workshops for students, such as information about the organization, or academic strategies and enrichment programs.
10% - Events
- Devises curriculum planning in collaboration with the manager, chair, and faculty, and with other departments.
- Uses the campus scheduling system to enter curriculum and leave data, schedule classes on a quarterly basis, and produce reports.
- Uses the campus Online Curriculum Approval (OCA) system for catalogue and course requests requiring Senate approval, and advises faculty on policies, procedures, and syllabi requirements.
- Liases with other departments to identify new course offerings for CRES electives and facilitate cross-listing.
5% - Recruitment and Outreach
- Plans and implements complex, high-visibility student events, such as orientation and senior celebration.
- Assists with other departmental events as they arise, such as book celebrations, guest speakers, and faculty recruitment visits.
- Plans spending within an allocation, ensures logistics for events are in place, and attends events as appropriate.
5% - Budget Coordination
- Plans and implements outreach programs with specifically targeted institutions; advises prospective applicants on necessary academic preparation; appropriateness of program as it pertains to the prospective applicant's goals; initiates and arranges student recruitment visits.
5% - Academic Human Resources
- Oversees the administration, evaluation, and awarding of student fellowships, grants, scholarships, and other awards; advises students on financial aid options of the organization and extra-mural fellowship opportunities.
- Tracks expenditures, completes financial paperwork for recharges, reimbursements, honoraria, and travel and entertainment arrangements.
5% - Supervise
- Oversees processes for equitable assignment of Teaching Assistantships (TAs) and Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs) and coordinates assignments each term.
5% - Communications
- Supervise student employees. Recruit, hire, train, evaluate, and give direction.
- Assign duties, establish priorities, and oversee workflow. Provide mentorship to department staff.
- Provides staffing support for department meetings.
- Assists in developing agendas, attends and participates in regular department meetings and other meetings as appropriate, taking notes of meetings and circulating those in a timely fashion to core faculty.
- Maintains the website with up-to-date information. Manages departmental communications and email listservs.
- Assists with the departmental newsletter.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Significant knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
- Skills in judgment and decision-making, problem solving, identifying measures of system performance and the actions to improve performance.
- Ability in problem identification and reasoning.
- Ability to develop original ideas to solve problems.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Cultural competencies and sensitivity to work with diverse populations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including active listening.
- Professional demeanor and discretion with sensitive and confidential matters.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively under supervision as well as independently.
- Ability to multitask and respond promptly to changing priorities.
- Experience in a computerized environment, including demonstrated ability to work with databases, spreadsheets, and systems.
- Knowledge of University-specific computer application programs and knowledge of University and departmental principles and procedures involved in risk assessment and evaluating risks as to likelihood and consequences.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidate will be required to pass a pre-employment criminal history background check.
- The University of California has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination Policy covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, covered employees must submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exception or deferral, eight (8) weeks from date of hire.
- Per the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA), this position has been identified as a Mandated Reporter. The selected candidate will be required to report known or suspected child abuse or neglect as defined by CANRA and will be required to sign a Statement Acknowledging Requirement to Report Child Abuse prior to commencing employment. CANRA Penal Codes, and related definitions, requirements, and responsibilities may be obtained here.
All UCSC employees must understand and follow job safety procedures, attend required health and safety training, proactively promote safety at work, and promptly report actual and potential accidents and injuries.
HOW TO APPLY
Attach your resume and cover letter when applying for this job opening. Do not attach any documents to 'My Activities'. Visit our How to Apply
tutorial for detailed instructions on our applicant process.
The University of California is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees. APPLICANTS ARE REQUIRED TO USE THE UCSC ON-LINE PROCESS
View full job description and access on-line application:https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucsc/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=11&JobOpeningId=35908&PostingSeq=1
To ensure review of application materials by the hiring unit, they must be submitted on or before the initial review date (IRD) via the Staff Employment Opportunities web site; https://jobs.ucsc.edu
. A computer is available at the UC Santa Cruz Staff Human Resources Office located at Scotts Valley Center. The Scotts Valley Center is located at 100 Enterprise Way, Suite E100, Scotts Valley, CA 95066. To learn more or to request disability accommodations, call 831-459-2009. Hearing impaired are encouraged to use the California Relay Service at 800-735-2922. UC Santa Cruz is an Equal Opportunity Employer.The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. UC Santa Cruz is committed to excellence through diversity and strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students and employees.
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.