Job TitleAssistant ControllerAgencyTexas A&M University - CommerceDepartmentAVP - Finance & AdministrationProposed Minimum SalaryCommensurateJob LocationCommerce, TexasJob TypeStaffJob Description
The Assistant Controller, under general supervision, assists the Associate Vice President for Finance & Administration (Comptroller) with operational activities in the supervision and control of financial activities. Monitors fiscal health and direct capital project accounting. Provides oversight by ensuring effective and efficient operations of accounting activities in the Financial Reporting System. Provides supervision and leadership to the accounting and accounts payable teams.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides leadership and oversight of financial activities related to accounts payable, grants accounting, property management, state accounting and general ledger accounting. Oversees and ensures accounting and budgeting consistency and compliance and presents recommendation for fiscal changes
- Serves as contact to State & System Internal auditors and assists with the coordination of financial audits, as necessary.
- Assists team the Annual Financial Report (AFR) for Texas A&M University - Commerce (TAMUC), in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) guidelines and State of Texas and Texas A&M System guidelines. Assists in development and reconciliation of USAS adjusting entries for electronic reporting and entry of the AFR.
- Reviews, develops, updates, and approves the policies and procedures for accounts payable and travel, grants accounting, state accounting, general ledger accounting, financial reporting and property management.
- Prepares monthly investment income allocation reports to distribute investment income to appropriate University fund groups and accounts. Compiles reports to various income producing areas on campus identifying the income and cost history of the related area. Prepares reports of estimated University incomes for uses by the Vice President for Finance and Administration and maintains revenue history for reporting purposes.
- Provides assistance in preparation of annual budget for the University including, but not limited to, developing revenue estimates, preparing budget estimates for major university-wide expenditures such as utilities, OASI, retirement and health insurance benefits, and assists in the preparation of the University's Programmatic Budget Review, as needed.
- Serves as a member on various committees to ensure financial health of the University is communicated appropriately
- Prepares financial statements for annual KETR audit.
- Works with budget office to ensure new accounts are established, attributes are updated as appropriate, and departmental structural changes are maintained.
- Works with Office of Financial Aid on reconciling items for all financial aid sources (state and federal), and reviews and reconciles annual FISAP.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Business or Accounting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Experience / Knowledge / Skills: Five (5) years of related experience in managing accounting or budgeting operations. Advanced knowledge and experience using word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications. Thorough knowledge of State Financial and Legislative Reporting requirements. Knowledge of various types of insurance policies and related legal requirements mandated by the state. Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills. Strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Strong management and leadership skills demonstrated with medium to large size teams.
Ability to: Ability to multitask and work cooperatively with others. Ability to work with auditors to resolve issues or implement changes to improve work efficiency and internal controls. Ability to direct multifunction work teams.
Licensing/Professional Certifications: None
Physical Requirements: None
Other Requirements: None
PREFERRED EDUCATION / SKILLS/ EXPERIENCE:
CPA preferred. Master's degree in Accounting. Accounting management experience in higher education.
SUPERVISION OF OTHERS:
Accounts Payable Supervisor, Senior Accountant, Accountant & Property Manager, Staff Accountant, General Ledger Accountant, and State Accounting Manager.
INSTRUCTIONS TO APPLICANT:
During the application process the "My Experience" page has a section provided "Attachments (Resume/CV, References, Cover letter, etc.)" to upload required documents.
- Use the Upload button to add each document.
- You will be able to upload up to 5 documents. Be aware that the maximum size allowed for any one document is 5MB.
- All documents must be electronically submitted through the Texas A&M Online Employment Services website to be considered.
- Incomplete or improperly submitted applications may be excluded from consideration.
Please provide the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Three professional references with complete contact information (Unsolicited letters of recommendation will not be considered).
- Transcripts (Unofficial will be accepted with application. Official transcripts are required at time of verbal offer).
If transcripts are from an international institution, it is the responsibility of the prospective faculty member to have the transcripts translated and evaluated by an approved credential evaluator.
Please do not withdraw your application in an attempt to upload a missing document. If you need assistance with this or any other matter, please contact us at HR.Hiring@tamuc.edu.
All positions are security-sensitive. Applicants are subject to a criminal history investigation, and employment is contingent upon the institution's verification of credentials and/or other information required by the institution's procedures, including the completion of the criminal history check.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer committed to diversity.
This job has expired.