Acquisitions Department Manager
The Acquisitions Department Manager will join a team of exceptional professionals committed to bringing the benefits of discovery to the world by providing global access, impact, and influence for the scholarship that we publish and distribute. This position will help to ensure that the Press is a leader in the selection and development of innovative ideas and scholarship; the creation of pioneering technologies to enhance discovery and learning; and the connection of people to the most trusted knowledge from global researchers, scholars, and educators.
The Acquisitions Department Manager will play an essential role in the Books Division with the responsibility for hiring, onboarding, training, and supervising Acquisitions Assistants, student workers and interns to ensure that they learn the systems and work procedures the job requires. The Acquisitions Department Manager will serve on many cross departmental teams to develop new workflows and procedures that will affect the Acquisitions staff. Communicates with the department about practices, policies, and process changes and will act as the point person for systems-related problems and concerns in the Acquisitions group. This position reports to the Editorial Director.
The Press is committed to honoring every person's inherent dignity as human beings and making that the foundation of our organizational culture. We proactively find ways to ensure opportunities that promote justice, equity, diversity and inclusion. We strive to publish courageously, while giving a voice to groundbreaking ideas. We support each other and our stakeholders and envision a future where knowledge enriches the lives of every person. The successful candidate will join a welcoming community that is inclusive and values the contributions and perspectives of individuals from all backgrounds.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Supervision of Others:
- Works with the Editorial Director to fulfill the administrative priorities and needs of the Acquisitions department and the Press; and communicates problems and concerns to the Editorial Director.
- Supervises Acquisitions Assistants to ensure they learn the systems and work procedures required for the job.
- Meets regularly with the Acquisitions Assistants and Acquisition Editors to ensure an equitable and manageable distribution of work responsibilities along with work related opportunities for growth and learning.
- Recruits, hires, trains, and supervises student workers and interns.
- Develops and manages the acquisitions internship program.
- Schedules, coordinates, and prepares materials for Faculty Editorial Board meetings and Editorial Projects Review meetings.
- Tracks and distributes monthly progress dashboard of signings, transmittals, and other benchmarks.
- Serves on cross departmental teams to develop new workflows and procedures.
- Communicates with Acquisitions staff about practices, policies, and process changes and serves as the point person for systems and workflow developments and concerns affecting the department.
- In coordination with the Acquisitions Assistants, manages the transmittal and redrawing of art for books as needed.
- Works with Editors on the preparation and execution of contracts and contributor agreements.
- Manages the uploading of chapter keyword metadata and other material to Allbooks.
- Handles requests for payments to third-party vendors and travel reimbursements for staff.
- Maintains appropriate documentation of workflow, policies, and practices.
- Other duties as needed or required.
Will manage Acquisition Editorial Assistants, student workers and departmental interns.Qualifications & Skills
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory)
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Five (5) years progressively responsible professional-level administrative or publishing experience.
- Demonstrated supervisory and/or coordination responsibilities.
- Communication and collaboration are required with academics, authors, series editors, press colleagues, and other stakeholders. Deals with confidential information and/or issues (including peer reviews and publishing agreements) using discretion and judgment.
- Additional education may substitute for experience**
** JHU Equivalency Formula: 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. ** Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date. Preferred Qualifications:
Special Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities:
- Superior problem-solving skills including using analytics to drive decisions.
- Creative thinker; embracing new ideas; passionate about exploiting the potential of JHUP.
- Inclusive in decision-making and problem-solving.
- Excel in effective use of resources; keen self-awareness of strengths and weaknesses.
- This individual must be able to work independently, and possess the judgment to effectively relate to peers, authors and the people they manage.
- Must be able to prioritize multiple tasks in tandem, while working with a variety of people.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills are required.
- Additionally, should have experience coordinating or supervising students or staff and be able to provide guidance and opportunities to staff for development and advancement.
- Weaves equity, justice, and inclusion principles into all aspects of the work.
Classified Title: Administrative Manager Working Title
: Acquisitions Department Manager
Role/Level/Range: ATP/04/PD Starting Salary Range:
$59,870 - $82,250 annually /Commensurate with Experience
Employee group: Full Time Schedule:
M-F, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm
Exempt Status: Exempt Location
: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10000121-Books Acquisitions
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled. EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfTo apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Acquisitions-Department-Manager-MD-21218/878082400/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.