If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet .
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
Director, Information Technology
Supervisory oversight of exempt and non-exempt staff.
* Coordinates department policies and operations with managers of other units within IT.
* Responsible for fostering increased awareness and attainment of higher levels of customer service by directing internal teams in the execution of IT initiatives.
* Works independently while meeting department goals and objectives by applying an intensive and diversified knowledge in broad areas of assignment.
* Plans and coordinates the functions and services for assigned information technology projects, of multiple sizes and complexities; this includes capacity planning and resource allocation for cross-functional UMIT teams.
* Responsible for interviewing, hiring, revising job descriptions, coaching and counseling staff.
- Plan, design, develop and implement improved work systems by revising work standards, policies and procedures, employee work method and utilization, and staffing levels.
- Contributes to and plans the delivery of department-wide management and technical policies in accordance with the mission and goals of UMIT.
- Responsible for the development of departmental staff to ensure effective deployment in their roles, to include active participation in employee development plans.
- Confers with UMIT leadership regarding those inputs to overall Enterprise Architecture that will best position UMIT to render service excellence to its constituents.
- Prepare activity and progress reports regarding his/her group responsibilities as indicated by IT leadership.
- Serve as a point of contact for the executive management team on unit/department initiatives.
- Identifies opportunities for change and develops plans for capitalizing on these opportunities.
- Develop, document, and modify, as necessary, guidelines and/or procedures to promote efficiency within the unit.
- Helps to determine new, creative methods to employ teams on projects and distribute responsibilities.
- Work directly with school's faculty, students and/or senior administrators to identify and address emerging technology needs; work collaboratively with other University technology departments when necessary and/or beneficial for providing excellent services to the school's community.
- Effectively communicates relevant IT-related information to superiors and peers across the organization.
- Reviews status reports of team members and addresses issues as appropriate.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Participates in all programs relating to performance management and career development planning.
- Effectively communicate with UM administration, faculty, and staff on a daily basis as needed.
- Exercises staff oversight to ensure operations plans, policies, procedures and transition/migration plans are consistent with the overall UMIT goals and objectives.
- Responsible for hiring, training, counseling, and termination as necessary.
- Other duties may also be assigned as required.
- Ability to manage large, complex projects from start to finish
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills in all mediums including supervision
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate difficult, complex matters with vendors and/or customers
Bachelor's degree required; seven years related work experience required. Master's degree preferred. Work Experience Requirements
Must understand meeting the service needs of academic and administrative technology users in a medical and/or higher education environment. Excellent administrative skills and ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to ensure customer satisfaction with quality output. At least seven years' relevant experience. Should include managerial experience that demonstrates the ability to lead a team of professional, technical, and support staff; and proven organizational, interpersonal, and communications skills. Ability to reason logically and creatively; to learn and utilize new technologies; to clearly communicate ideas and recommendations; and, to write clear, and concise reports. Must represent the University in a professional manner.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here
for additional information.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type: