If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet .
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Director, Information Technology oversees all aspects of computer technical support services and help desk operations and coordinates activities for University-wide IT projects. The incumbent in this position directs internal teams in the execution of initiatives as they relate to computers, application support and services, and strategic IT initiatives. This position exercises considerable judgment by making decisions in unprecedented situations.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
Supervises the performance management of all assigned staff including making decisions as they pertain to hiring, training, evaluation, promotion, and termination. Manages daily operations and directs staff to achieve departmental goals and objectives. Assumes responsibility for campus-wide initiatives involving computer support services. Develops, promotes, and maintains standards as they relate to technical support services and devices, including manufacturing and architectural standards. Designs improved work systems by revising work standards, policies, and procedures. Directs and manages project plan development, risk assessment, communications, budget tracking, status reporting, vendor management, and successful project completion. Manages projects with support staff by giving them a clear understanding of the departmental mission. Monitors project prioritization, active projects, and the development of dashboard and reporting mechanisms. Assumes responsibility for enterprise-wide IT projects and ensures an efficient and timely conclusion. Contributes to strategic plan and assists in providing short- and long-term solutions to help meet campus-wide strategic and tactical planning initiatives. Communicates with administration and staff regarding the efficient and timely delivery of services. Performs follow-up investigations on inquiries, complaints, and problems. Assists in the determination of critical milestones. Seeks ways to improve operations and oversees the preparation of productivity reports. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, identifies areas of improvement, and implements action plans to meet these. Attends professional meetings, workshops, conferences, and seminars to keep abreast of technological market advancements. Establishes and continuously assesses the effectiveness of the internal controls within the unit and compliance with University policies and procedures. Ensures employees are trained on controls within the function and on University policy and procedures.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
Bachelor's Degree in relevant field required
Certification and Licensing:
Minimum 7 years of relevant experience.
Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning systems, with particular emphasis on Student Financials and Financial Aid.
Extensive experience supporting Financial Aid systems in a University setting, with a strong background in PowerFAIDS and Institutional Methodology required.
Extensive experience supporting PeopleSoft/Campus Solution based student financial systems.
Extensive experience and a solid trackrecord as a leader, director, and manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
Department Specific Functions
- Knowledge of business and management principles.
- Ability to direct, manage, implement, and evaluate department operations.
- Ability to establish department goals, and objectives that support the strategic plan.
- Ability to effectively plan, delegate and/or supervise the work of others.
- Ability to lead, motivate, develop, coach, and train others.
- Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) applications, focusing on Student Financials, Financial Aid, with a strong working experience on PeopleSoft/Campus and PowerFAIDS (including Institutional Methodology).
- Excellent leadership and administrative skills include the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to ensure customer satisfaction with quality output.
- Ability to reason logically and creatively; to learn and utilize new technologies; to clearly communicate ideas and recommendations; and, to write clear, and concise reports.
- Ability to manage large, complex projects from start to finish.
- Ability to negotiate difficult, complex contract terms with vendors.
- Directs and manages teams within IT
- Partners, collaborates, and works closely with the Financial Aid and Student Financials team, with full ownership for outcomes from the IT perspective.
- Leads system upgrades for IT, including upgrades to the hardware and software, specifically around Campus Solutions Student Financials and PowerFAIDS Financial Aid.
- Acts as Liaison between the University's Student Accounts and Financial Aid offices and UMIT.
- Leads the planning and execution of efforts related to integrations between PowerFAIDS and Campus Solutions/Student Financials and other University systems. Responsible for the design, implementation, testing and support of those integrations
- Facilitates discussions and assists with the design and building of tools, reports, dashboards that assist with the reconciliation of data between PowerFAIDS & Student Financials and other University systems.
- Manages the efforts around the implementation/formatting and testing of ad-hoc data loads into the PowerFAIDS and/or Campus Solutions systems.
- Is fluent in and able to leverage the PowerFAIDS and Campus Solution system synergies and process affinities, taking the lead and/or collaborating in the optimization of business processes and system architecture.
- Contributes to and influences the strategic direction and continuous improvement and optimization of the Student Financial capability ecosystem.
- Keeps up-to-date in the Financial Aid and Student Financials system space, participating in industry-related forums and attending conferences, as appropriate. Leverages the Higher Education Users group (HEUG), PowerFAIDS user group.
- Run, grow and transform our ERP application ecosystem by:
- Leveraging the capabilities of the platform.
- Managing related central office relationships to ensure client requirements are understood and supported.
- Integrating the student ERP with other applications and platforms to extend the functionality.
- Maintaining a team that has the necessary skills.
- Ensuring the customer experience meets or exceeds their expectations.
- Seek out, plan, implement and deploy new solutions.
- Develop and implement standard processes for daily support operations.
- Oversee all presently live business modules and any future modules implemented.
- Supervise and delegate work to analysts and developers to meet all goals.
- Manage the implementation, upgrade, and support of the business systems.
- Fine-tune and improve procedures and usage of business systems based upon feedback from the user community and enterprise.
- Assist in the documentation, development, and implementation of newly required state, federal, and local guidelines and regulations.
- Provide consistency and assurance that all appropriate support and enhancements requirements are obtained by vendors.
- Establish and continuously assess the effectiveness of the internal controls within the unit and compliance with University policies and procedures. Ensures employees are trained on controls within the function and on University policy and procedures. Actively engage in networking opportunities with peer institutions to leverage best in class strategies and lessons learned for student system.
- Engage the change management team to ensure new functionality and changes to the application are effectively communicated to all stakeholders, and users are trained.
- Address issues that may arise with a resourceful and proactive approach and ensure documented protocols are followed.
- Work closely and effectively with others in a team-oriented setting.
- Establish trust and credibility with IT leadership and other stakeholders across the University.
- Re-evaluate our current business processes with stakeholders, end to end, then ensure all documented processes are consistently followed.
- Partner with vendors and peer schools when needed to implement complex functionality to ensure best practices are followed and lessons learned by our peer schools are avoided.
- Manage relationships with vendors to ensure quality customer service is provided to UM.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills, with an ability to attract, motivate and develop a high performing team.
- Lead with energy drive, vision and credibility
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here
for additional information.Job Status:
Full timeEmployee Type: