Under the direction of the Production Manager, and with the control room operators as direct reports , this position is responsible for safe and environmentally compliant operation of the kiln /raw material operations - protecting our equipment while pursuing consistent quality results at the maximum sustainable production rates that can be achieved subject to these prerequisites. The Process Supervisor also assists plant management in the identification and implementation of process improvement opportunities for the kiln system, raw milling system and quality areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with plant policies & procedures, safety, environmental, state and federal process regulations.
- Perform all duties in a manner which promotes a safe work environment
- Oversee the day-to-day operation of the kiln, preheater/pre-calciner, raw material & fuel preparation [including alternative fuels], and the raw mill system.
- Review and analyze operational data to evaluate and recommend changes for efficient and sustainable operation.
- Ensures management is aware of trends and operational issues in a timely manner and is responsible for communicating proposed solutions.
- Leads daily consultation with the management, Shift Supervisors to discuss and facilitates operational approach to ensure production goals are met on a daily basis.
- Maintains Protocols and standard work, will advise management and operations staff on necessary adjustments and changes to protocols and standard work to minimize future incidents and increase sustainability. Oversees the implementation of corrective action.
- Collaborates with the plant Quality Control Department to meet product specifications and internal quality targets.
- Participates in projects and communicates system maintenance requirements with the plant Maintenance Department. Assist in prioritizing needs with maintenance team
- Analyzes and interprets Pyro process data for other departments as required.
- Maintains up to date industry knowledge of kiln/raw mill operations through training and technical reading.
- Participates in the production department rotating on call schedule for supervisors.
- Responsible for cost control as well as achieving the maintenance and production cost targets in the kiln department.
- Participates in CI project opportunities and audits
- Monitors the housekeeping in the kiln line and causes corrections to be made as required
- Trains new employees or insures same is completed for all pyro line hourly jobs
- Monitors plant's production KPIs on regular basis and coordinate plans to improve them in coordination with different departments.
- Participate in Root Cause Analysis of major kiln/raw mill/cooler system equipment downtimes.
- Performs inspections on kiln/preheater pre-calciner/cooler during kiln stop periods to determine refractory and other repair needs, maintains detailed records of same
- Performs inspections on raw mill system during kiln stop periods and PM days.
- Participate and contribute to process assessments on kiln/ cooler & raw mill systems, and initiate actions to improve equipment performance. Performs field tests with other process engineers, reports on findings and plan of action to address deficiencies.
- Assists in the development and monitoring of procedures and programs to increase process efficiency, equipment performance, product quality and working conditions
- Ensures that all federal, state and company safety regulations are met consistently and that employees are trained/understand and comply with these safety standards
Education and/or Experience
- Develop Standard work procedures and operating guidelines focused on sustainable and efficient production levels while improving safety for our personnel, environmental compliance, and equipment protection.
- Train and audit for compliance on Standard Work and Operating guidelines, and using the audit results make approved changes to the standard work and operating guideline
- Audit functions require regular physical presence in the field or inside the equipment as required.
- Identify and implement projects that improve quality and/or reduce plant operating costs in a safe, sustainable and environmentally responsible manner.
- Pyro processing
- Ensure that the Control operators are
- conversant in all key performance indicators aspects for the kiln (and mill operation), and
- are aware of all environmental limitations and corrective actions to remain in compliance
- well versed on all standard work and operating guidelines
- Monitor process equipment via online control systems to identify abnormal conditions that lead to higher costs and lower quality product quality. Make recommendations to Production leadership team on process abnormalities and variations to reduce standard deviation in process operating equipment.
- Ensure visual management systems are in place with targeted KPI ranges and actuals in graphical form in key locations in the plant.
- Develop/update process procedures to ensure that documentation is accurate and easily understandable.
- Assist in determining methods, procedures, parts and equipment needed to implement process engineering changes.
- Interface with all levels of management and employees to gather information and provide guidance for implementation including but not limited to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and instructional media for hourly employees.
- As required by management, prepare and conduct entry level training for supervisors and hourly personnel on gas handling, mass balance, chemistry and other process related items to help develop general trouble shooting ability.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and abilities
- Undergraduate degree in chemical engineering or equal, preferred but not essential if
- Technical / managerial experience in cement kiln production of more than 5 years.
- Actual experiences in a cement plant managing process per essential duties above will be considered on a case by case basis as satisfying the essential duties section in which case the BS is not required.
- Multiple plant experience / multiple company experience preferred.
- Control room operator experience
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of employees, managers, clients, customers.
- Working knowledge of MS Office and other job related computer applications
- Ability to speak clearly in English and be understood in conversation and on telephones/radios
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to respond decisively to emergencies
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in problem solving
- Actual time as a production supervisor
- Working knowledge of kiln line chemistry
- Exposure to the budgeting process
- Knowledge of all phases of cement production, including field process measurements and calculations to facilitate heat and material balances, finish mill audits, and audit reports with recommendations on actions needed.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal skills to facilitate positive working relationships with all levels of management and staff
- Ability to respond decisively to emergencies and an ability to exercise sound judgment in problem solving
- Knowledge of all relevant safety regulations and strong commitment to safety
- Ability to effectively direct, motivate and coach the activities of others
- Strong written/verbal communication, analytical, and mechanical skills
- Excellent work ethic - high standard of performance and production.
- Exercise independent decision-making, prioritize conflicting demands
- Must understand Lockout/Tag out/Tryout procedure and safety requirements
- Must understand Confined Space entry procedure and safety requirements
- Ability to travel on occasion
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Climb up to 60 feet above ground on ladders and 300 feet on stairs
- Walk/stand on uneven ground, walkways and catwalks throughout the work day and an unrestricted ability to walk on level ground,
- Must be available to enter and exit confined spaces without assistance
- Crawl, kneel and climb ladders/stairs to inspect facilities and to observe work activities and examine aspects of the process equipment.
- Ability to frequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- No aversions to working in confined spaces and at heights.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, outside weather conditions, heat and noise from operating equipment. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles; chemicals, risk of electrical shock high, precarious places and enclosed spaces and vibration.